The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Backup Plan on Dedicated Server

ohsuria

affiliate
Hello everyone,

Anyone has dedicated server and purchase backup plan from hosting company?
please kindly share how the backup plan counted from your hosting company.

If I purchase 36gb backup plan for my dedicated server,
is it counted from the hard drive space I can use which is max 36 gb.
or
they are counted from total of 1 month backup?

for ex:
if I have 10gb data and they do fully backup weekly then it means I have excess the backup usage?
10gb x 4 times fully backup > 36gb.

Please kindly advise.

Thank you.

I am guessing that you have 36gb max backup space, you should ask them this question. What backup schedule are you using? The classic grandfather, father child will require 12 monthly backups, 6 daily, 4 weekly i.e. 22 times the space you are using.

I'd recommend you don't use your web host as a backup service too. Too many things can go wrong and you'll lose your backups too... i.e not paying your bill one month or a datacenter fire.

We backup our servers using a remote service, bqbackup.com - Their service is great and prices are very reasonable. It's fairly simple to set up too.

Dan.

I have been with this hosting company and using their backup plan for 5 years and I never met this problem before, this just came out this last few months.

as far as I know, they counted the backup usage based on the max. backup space taken each day.
for ex: on date 15th is the highest space taken is 40gb.
then they can charge us for the backup exceed 4gb. (40gb - 36gb)

but lately it suddenly changed, and they started to count based on the total 1 month backup.
so they sum the backup usage from date 1st until 30th. and starting to charge us like crazy..

I have contacted the account manager for my dedicated servers.. but the account manager almost never reply my email (very2 bad bad support :nono:)
they are very big and very well known hosting company in US.

guys.. what do you think the most common backup plan for dedicated server? is it counted from max space or from 1 month total?

ps. the hosting company not that hosting my sites that writed on my signature (just in case you're guessing :D), they are very great indeed :).

Last edited by a moderator:
my hands is starting felt itchy to write down this hosting company name.

for years we were charged based on the max space/highest space we use in 1 month.

but it suddenly changed, they begin to sum all days backup for 1 month.
and they said in June we have exceed of 500gb. and the cost/1gb is $10
it means $5000 for only the excess backup usage. :death:

Ouch! - Who is that with? PM me if you don't want to publicly air it, I wouldn't mind knowing who it is.

I suggest you get someone like bqbackup.com to provide the backup space. As you can see from their site - they're much cheaper!

sorry DanielEZPZ, I cannot write the name until I really lost my patience :)

until now I haven't get any solution from the hosting company..
I even has emailed the manager of my account manager.. but the manager still assign my current manager that often ignore their customer emails..

shame on this big and well known hosting company.
ok.. we are not a very big company that only use their 2 dedicated servers..
but with dedicated servers' customer treated like this.. I don't know how they treat their share hosting customers..

luckily I didn't host my sites(signature) with them..

MI
Back