The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Are Facebook stealing affiliate commissions?

Afish

affiliate
Hi all

Firstly apologies for any silly questions I may ask, I'm quite new to this and finding my feet.

I have a Facebook page with around 4000 likes and have been using it to post Skimlinks generated affiliate links on mother and baby products. About 6 months ago this was quite successful and I had the odd sale here or there. (I say successful as I wasn't posting much so the little I got out was comparable to the little I put in).

Fast forward to today and I've really pumped up my input into the page as I'm on leave from work. I get lots of interaction on my posts and lots of 'link clicks' according to my Skimlinks stats. The problem is I literally get zero sales! I don't understand what has changed?? I've had people comment on the posts saying they've purchased an item through the link but for some reason the sale is not showing in my Skimlinks account.

I have a few questions around this:

When people click on a link in the Facebook app it goes through to the relevant page but on the Facebook web browser. Could Facebook be somehow getting the credit for the sales? Is Facebook now blocking or redirecting my affiliate links?

If this isn't the case then I fear that people view the link in Facebook browser but then come out of Facebook to make the purchase on safari/chrome etc (this is what I do myself!). Would the cookie created in the Facebook app transfer over to a different browser On the same device?

I'm at a loss really as to why I'm no longer getting sales when my click rates are so much higher than 6 months ago.

I posed the question to Skimlinks and after an age I got a reply which doesn't make much sense. They said they tracked my links and they were being converted to bit.ly links and did I have a bit.ly plug in? I'm not sure what they mean as Skimlinks Url shortener provides a fave.co link which is what I post to my Facebook page so I'm not sure at all where bit.ly comes into it!

Sorry for the long post. I'm just spending so much time on my Facebook page and can't work out why nothing is converting to commission. Any advice very much appreciated.

Hi, @Afish and welcome to AFix!

I had never heard of Skimlinks, had to look them up.

I have a few questions:

- Are you allowed to use a 3rd party tracker?
- Does FB convert your link to a Bitly link?
- What does Skimlinks have against Bitly? :)

By the way, why not introduce yourself and let our members welcome you properly? We love saying hello to new people. :)

banners
Back