The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Affiliate Marketing works only for the lucky few?

hifromeddie

affiliate
Hi, my name is Ed, and I am only 4 months old in affiliate marketing.

I have been doing affiliate marketing since mid June 2007 and have not been able to make one sale from my websites.

I have only created a couple ezines and a couple articles to advertise my website. And out of a few million results in google one of my websites was number 10 (on the first page) in google search results when using the words - Earning Money On the Web - in the search engine. My other site once was once number 30 (page 3) out of 5 million. Yet not one person has ever entered my websites through google. Not one person has ever entered my websites through my ezines or articles. As far as google you can even be number 1 on page one out of 20,000,000 pages when you type certain key word phrases in the search engine. But even then your site may never be discovered if no one ever types in the exact keyword phrase you use to find your site in a number 1 position in google.

Having no luck with google or with the few articles I have written so far I decided to spend about $110 signing up for websites that advertise your website through linking your website to traffic that still visits domains that are recently expired. Yet even there the statistics show that most people are on my site very briefly and only a dozen have ever stayed on my web site for more than one minute and went to other pages on my site other than my home page. And not one person (out of 20,000) has ever made a second visit to my websites unless they are merchants I am an affiliate for. According to all the advertising I purchased with expired domains I have had close to 20,000 visitors but not one of those visitors has ever purchased a thing from my website or affiliate links.

I have however made $130 (took 4 months) in sales via a viral ebook, and on usfreeads. But one was refunded already which dropped my all time affiliate marketing total down to $100. If more stuff is refunded then my total will keep dropping.

As far as getting paid I have never been paid anything yet - not even a penny - even though I am due to get paid (by Clickbank) since my balance is above $10 (it is very difficult to even make $10 with affiliate marketing and takes a month or more). But I was told by Clickbank that I can't get paid anything until 5 different credit cards are used to buy products from my affiliate links, and if the people use paypal or e checks it does not count. So in other words if the day comes when I finally earn $1000 through my Clickbank links (probably after a few years) I still won't get paid any of that money if every person who purchases from me keeps using pay pal or e check etc. That is, I will get paid that $1000 eventually. They will keep it on hold until 5 different credit card numbers are found in nonpaypal purchases.

I am under the impression that affiliate marketing works well only for very few people. The more people hear about affiliate marketing and figure out how to delete cookies out of their browser and instead visit merchants websites directly (bypassing all affiliate links) the less will affiliate marketing work.

I don't even think it is worth writing and submitting 100's of genuine articles because more than likely no one will ever even finish reading any of the articles and will never click on the web address in the article. Or, if they do and then go to the website and click on an affiliate link, then they will go to their browsers option button and find where it says delete all temporary files and cookies and visited sites etc., then they don't have to worry about anyone else (other than the merchant) getting paid some of their money if they make a purchase.

If affiliate marketing does some how work for some people then I think it only works for people who have money to invest in something like google adwords. But that is a dangerous path for those of us who mainly have enough money to survive with, and a lifetime savings so far of under $1000. For example if you pay $1.00 per click on google adwords to get your ad listed on top where people will see it, and then say 50,000 people click on your attractively worded ad and go to your website, and stay there for 30 seconds, and then leave never giving a thought to making a purchase, that will cost you $50,000 anyway which, for someone like me, would take about 20 years to pay off. I have never even seen my bank account above $3,000 and I am almost 42. So the thought of paying a multi-million dollar organization like google thousands of dollars is sickening to think about. I would rather go homeless and choose not to work just so I could never pay them anything, and if I did make a little money it would go to charity instead - to people who really need it.

Anyway I still have hope that affiliate marketing will work for me. I will keep trying for now. If I ever do make my thousands (even $20,000+ a year is considered very rich in my book) with affiliate marketing then I can even afford to do a little adwords and will be able to pay google if I need to, but will also have enough to help others who are in worse circumstances. Maybe I will be one of the lucky few some day who affiliate marketing works for just like the lucky few who have won big in the lottery. Then again, maybe not. It's nice to think about though. It just may not be the reality of the matter.

your reality is what you make it on the net. The articles you dread so much, it the very tool that could make you 20 k a month in a year if you apply it correctly.

Affiliate marketing is not for everyone, but for people willing to learn and work. the internet is one of the only places where thae average person can make it big.

Before trying for phrases, you need to use keyword tools to make sure people are searching that phrase, and then the top 5 positions are the best. 2nd or 3rd page is worthless. and you are not going to do well as a beginner with CB.

you have to use long tail keywords for CB and this takes a lot of time to find the buying keywords and rank for them

Learn seo and your dreams can and will come true.

Hi Ed,

Welcome to 5 Star.

You don't mention what type of products, but it sounds like you are making the classic mistakes most newbies make. I feel your pain and would like to help.

1st the type of traffic you bought never converts, don't waste your money on it.

Are you promoting any type of get rich quick, how to make money online, webmaster secrets or ANY other type of Internet Marketing stuff? Thats where all the newbies start and that market is filled with slick pros, gurus and scammers all preying off newbies like you. You CAN'T COMPETE!

It sounds like that's the area you are focused on if you rank for "Earning Money On the Web."

Don't waste your time going down a path THOUSANDS of newbies have gone before with the same result. Most DO end up with no money and ready to give up. I don't know what makes newbies think they know enough about how to make money online to sell other newbies products about how to make money online.

Also Clickbank IMHO is the hardest place to start. Too competitive and too many of the type of programs I mention above.

Find a small niche to start. Find one you are interested in and know about.
Read all the stickies in the Newbie forum and all the posts in the niche forum for ideas.

Don't give up - just SWITCH GEARS!

You are right Affiliate marketing isn't really for everyone..
But the beauty of this is that you can learn how to use the traffic to geenerate income..
People who have allot of traffic but no sales have to do something on they're content..
Maybe promote an other product one that really catches everybody's attention.

Thank you

Thank you for all the advice. I posted my website links in a different section of this forum and am waiting for replies so I can figure out what I am doing wrong - maybe my websites are too junky, load too slow, not popular subjects etc. In my main website I am promoting health and wellness products which includes diet and weight loss, fitness and bodybuilding, yoga and meditation, self improvement, womens healtyh and beauty, vitamins, herbs and sumpplements etc. And I also include a section on financial freedom which links to my other website which focuses on earning money online. But I have not been a success in any of it yet and as I already mentioned my affiliate marketing total for 4 months is about $100 if I don't include the refund for $33.

Anyway my sites can be viewed and are awaiting reviews at this section of the forum:

http://affiliate-marketing-forums.5...review-forum/7860-please-review-my-sites.html

Hi,
Shame you are having a rough time of it
The sad fact is a lot of people do not make a profit in affiliate marketing but for others affiliate marketing is a source of some serious revenue.

If you browse the forums you will find people who claim to be making $1000 to $2000 a month.

The important thing is you have to choose a niche that is profitable and be very careful about the keywords you optimize your site for.

Also a couple of articles just is not nearly enough.

If you look at ezine articles author list you will find the names of the really successful affiliates with 100, 200 articles attached to there names.

Also you really have to be focused to make this work.

The advantage of your few months in the business is that you have learned some things do work, viral marketing and some things that don't.

Good luck

Hi

Like you, I have an affiliate site on fitness and it does pretty well for such a competitive niche. One of the things I always try to provide on my sites is brutal honesty and as I just told someone else, that is missing out here. Especially with affiliate sites.

Rather than focusing so much on the sale and promoting the products, start by providing unique information in your niche that none of your competitors are offering.

I learned that people buy from people they trust. So in order to get your audience to buy these things you are promoting you have to build up that credibility and one way is through your helpful content.

Do you use these products you promote and can you give an unbiased review? These are things people want to know. If they feel pitched then they aren't as eager to buy.

On the other hand if you say "Hey, my name is xyz.... and I've struggled with my weight for years. Here are some things that have worked for me...."

Right away, you've become a human being who is interested in helping someone with weight loss rather than someone just trying to sell products. Again, people want to be helped. They don't want to be sold to. So if you provide good, free information FIRST and then subtly recommend products here and there that's a much better way than to just build a site promoting a bunch of products from an affiliate program.

I haven't seen your site so I don't know if that's what you're doing but from your description I gather you have a site mainly focused on promoting the products without the useful info to accompany the products.

An affiliate site should appear as if the main goal is to inform, educate, entertain, etc. not sell products. I know that may seem like the obvious way to go because you want to make money. But you'll actually make more if you come across as a human being interested in helping someone solve a problem.

I ended up writing a couple of articles for new folks after reading basically what your saying in another forum from other members

It basically boils down to this. This about what you would do offline to start your business and do the equivalent online.

What's the first thing you do before starting a business- research

Before investing money in advertising offline what do you do - get your demographics find out where your prospects go to get the information you have. Then go there and let them know why it's to their advantage to get the information from you

Can you give us more details

What are you marketing?

Do you have a website?

Where are you marketing?

Anyway the more details you can give us the better

Rick

Thank you

Thank you everyone for all the valuable advice.

Do to the fact that I have very little extra money to spare I have not been able to buy most of the the products I promote and therefore can't write my own reviews. Where I do write my own articles I am honest in what I write. But I don't write any reviews about products I have never used. I just include info about the product and then a link leading to the particular website where the product is being sold.

One of my webistes, by the way, is currently number 6 on the first page of google out of a competition of 17 million when you type in the keywords: earning money on the web

Sometimes it disappears and is no where to be found. But then it reappears again in the top 10. My health and wellness website has never gotten better than about the top 20 in google but it often disappears.

Unfortunately I am figuring out that even if a website is in the top 5 on google it is rare to even get one visitor. My one website only appears in that numer 6 position if those exact keywords are typed in. So for someone to find it they need to type those exact words in. And few probably ever use those exact keywords. So basically I have never received any purchases yet through either of my websites even if they make it almost to the top of google.

But I have received a few purchases on usfreeads and on Ebay. My total to date is about $100 after almost 5 months. Maybe I already mentioned that.

Anyway I will digest some of the advice everyone is sharing. For those of you who asked about my website the address to both my websites is in the section of this forum called "review my websites".

I'll take a look at your site

In the meantime. For those products you rep. Email the merchant and say this

Aloha, howdy, Ola blah

I'm your new affiliate. After I make three sales do you think that will earn me your product so I can do a review, get the word out to more people and make us both even more money?

Rick
Rick Kirkham
http://MyWebSiteWhichBreaksForumRules.com (hyperlink it like that so the merchant can check out your site)
------------------------------

Or something to that effect

Often when I do this the merchant sends me his/her product immediately, sometimes I've already sold a bunch, and on rare occassions I don't hear from the merchant at all.

One trick I learned is to join the merchants newsletter. They usually respond to that since I may be a prospect

Rick

Do you do much forum posting in niche related forums? I have a nutrition site that i promote through publishing articles on the web and forum posting in nutrition forums. I also promote it through a blog and participation in blog carnivals. It does pretty well.

A blog carnival is where a blog takes a selection of blog posts on a topic and posts links to them. If you go to Blog Carnival you can learn about them and find some to participate in.

Last edited by a moderator:
find products that are easy to sell...

I can understand your frustration.

I think an important lesson in the affiliate marketing game is to attempt to sell products that you know people would need to purchase. It also helps if the product you are trying to sell has a large workforce dedicated to providing information about the product you are trying to sell. In addition, look for personal success stories tied to that product? Does the merchant provide those for you?

I' also like to add, not that you aren't doing this already, that it helps to follow steps that make affiliates successful. Placing links and ads where they are most effective, placing those links throughout your site, etc.

I hope this is of some use to you, Rick.

Thank you for your time,

I have to agree, Ed.

Affiliate marketing only works for the lucky few.

The thousands of hours I spent reading and studying and applying the lessons had no effect.

The hundreds of books I read on copywriting, coding, design and marketing - not worth the paper they were printed on.

The thousands of dollars I invested in learning PPC - money down the drain.

I thousands of blog articles on affiliate marketing I read - not worth a single penny.

The jobs I took to learn affiliate marketing from the inside, even though I could have got more lucrative paying jobs - total waste of time.

The hundreds of SEO experiments I did on my own time and coin - didn't learn a single thing.

The days of going to a normal job followed up by at least another 8 hours online at night time and then at least 14 on Sat and Sunday for several years - that has nothing to show.

The hundreds of marketing experiments in article writing, online video production, blogging etc etc - I should have spent my time drinking beer.

You are right, Ed.

The only way I have ever made any money in this game has been total luck.

You know, Ed, when I get down about how unfair the world is, I look for motivation.

I think why is is that all these people are so much "luckier" than me.

I think I found the answer.

This is possibly the most motivating 2 minutes of video on the internet about how much luckier those other successful people are than me.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9p5vOsY5Rg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9p5vOsY5Rg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

It's hard to stay motivated when your not making money, I've been there many times. Though I am a firm believer or what you think you'll get, you'll get. Call it what you want but it's proven itself to me many times. Took me a long time to realize when I thought I'd always be broke, I was just that. When I believed I would make money, I did. People can say it's all BS, but it's proven itself to me many times over.

As for your websites. As already mentioned, you have to rank good for keywords that people are actually searching for. You could rank #1 for Light Blue Widget, but if no one is searching for that phrase, you won't see any traffic.

You haven't mentioned if you building links to your sites? You could have the best SEO'ed site in the world, but with out links point to your site, your not going to rank. The more links that point to your site from sites with related content, the better.

I only looked at one site, and I don't mean to be rude, but it was all messed up, images floating in the wrong place, text all over, ect. The better your site looks, more people will trust you, well, least it's a start.

As already mentioned, articles do work, but you have to do them. Giving up after only a few won't get you anything.

So many people come on to the net and think they can make big money right away without much work. Sadly it sure isn't true. Sure many here would agree. It takes work and may not happen over night.

It's very possible to make money on the net, just have to put in the work. It can be frustrating but it's given me a full time income for a number of years.

The one deciding factor of online success and affiliate marketing

Targeted Traffic! This is internet marketing in a nutshell.a lot of people will tell you it is the coding, this is false. i can use yahoo sitebuilder and get seo traffic to it. there are a few things search engines look for on a site for ranking factors.

You have to remember, you are using a site for S-A-L-E-S. it is a matter of putting the site in front of enought targeted customers. and the best way is keyword related.

Pitch is fine, but if someone is looking for "horse shoes" and does a direct search for it, they are already interested. once you eliminate the browsers, you get a buyer. the net's average is about 1% conversion rate. So, if you need 10 sales a day, you need 1 k visitors a day. it is simple math.

A link on a dogfood site will not generate horse shoe sales. Period.

This is the essence of targeted traffic.

It does not matter if it is PPC or SEO, if you are not targeting by keywords, you are wasting your time.

There is no luck involved, and SEO experiments are to disprove a new lie by a marketer. SEO is a simple and common sense process that anyone can do.

I have never done an seo experiment to prove something right, just to disprove false claims.

Stop reading places like webmaster world and seo roundtable. over analysis creates confusion, they are Marketing sites, plain and simple.

seo is basicaly title, h tags, bold and italics on keywords in content and then 80% targeted and properly anchored links.

Stop the insanity and keep it simple. There is room for everyone here on this forum to make a good living.

It has absolutely nothing to do with luck. It is all about simple math.

Let me ask you a question. What would you rather have, a site that is bang up with great pitches, coding blah, blah, blah... or an average site with 2 k visitors a day that are targeted by keyword?????

This is about common sense, not luck or voodoo, or even palm readers predictions.

If you want seo traffic, find the top sites for your targets and do what they do plus a little more and you will beat them. A search engine is a program, it does not get mad, feel sorry for you or someone else, does not care about color schemes. It ranks sites according to the program.

want the basics of seo? search for brad callens ebook SEO made easy. it will teach you basics. and this is all most anyone needs.

Do not do link exchanges, use articles or read my other post. there is enough info on this forum for you to put a complete seo program togather that works. There is enough help here to teach you to fish, but until you pick up the pole, you will catch no fish. and this i can promise.

I love how this thread is developing and all the different views that are being shared. Wish I wasnt in a brace and in pain. I'd reply and expand on a few things that were said, but in a nutshell - I agree with all of you.

LOVE that Loren video ROB. I'd seen it before
but it had even more impact this time.

Why does AM seem to work for the lucky few and why do they have all the luck?
THEY WORK HARDER THAN YOU DO! :p
Great video!

And great feedback everyone. Really awesome thread!

MI
Back