The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Adware - Why?

llturbini

affiliate
Why it is so profitable? Who?s paying for it and why?

I am no marketing or advertising expert just a tech guy who has to deal with ad ware and spy ware contamination on PC after PC.

I know there are bills going through congress designed to police this kind of activity on the Internet. But it dawned on me why is ad ware so prevalent and so profitable? Who is paying for it and why?

It makes absolutely no sense to me.

It?s like buying a 6-inch strip on a billboard with another 100 other advertisers. No one is ever going to see the Ad. And if by chance they do see it they?re so frustrated it will actually have the effect of DEMOTTING instead of promoting.

Further the practice of pop ups is totally destroying what otherwise could be the best Advertising media ever!

Why is it so profitable? Who?s paying for it and why?

Could some one please educate me.

Hi llturbini,

Welcome to 5 Star and thanks for opening with a GREAT question. Sorry you have to deal technically with the Adware fallout and sorry I don't have an answer for you. I don't really get it either. If advertisers were looking at the big picture - not short term gain, they would never use Adware.

I was just posting this in another thread but REALLY think it bears repeating.

Market With Integrity!

Remember - if you use marketing techniques for short term gain that consumers don?t like, it comes back to bite your own earnings and hurts the entire online marketing industry. If you serve excessive pop for affiliate links, utilize parasitic applications, promote ActiveX or other download programs that are filled with Adware ? then you are also helping to spread the use of anti-spyware apps, personal firewalls and ad blockers that are increasingly blocking affiliate links and deleting our cookies.

Let?s all work together to clean up the industry. Market with integrity and everyone wins!

Thanks for joining and I hope you stick around to participate with us.

Anyone have any answers for llturbini's question???

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for your reply.

I have read some of your postings. You really seem to know what you?re talking about in this area.

I hope people get the message. Especially the ones writing out the checks, they are the ones really getting swindled. When they realize that maybe it will stop since everything is fueled by money.

I will stick around. I find this stuff fascinating and actually appreciate good Internet advertising.

I hope things get better. It uses to be the Internet was fun but more and more people are getting disillusioned.

It amazes me how often I've had to help clean that junk off relative's computers, and how hard it is to get some of them to understand how risky certain spyware can be. One time I was trying to remove a particularly stubborn item from an aunt's computer and had finally found instructions online to get rid of it, looked like it would take a fair bit of work, but no worse than a half hour, since I had finally found the culprit. She saw the work was I was about to go through and just told me to forget it; she didn't want me to go through so much trouble! I told her in that case she had better take it to a professional, because anything that stubborn was probably bad news. I still don't know if she did anything about it, but the computer was replaced a couple months ago.

Ad blocking and cookie blocking is just the beginning. SANs institute already has seen substantial decrease in Internet usage, as more and more people get disillusioned.

Besides a waning market audience in the future you will probably see more and more restricted browsers, smart appliances, super nodes, WWW2, IPv6 severely limiting the type and kind of marketing on the internet.

The technology deployed in the not so distant future may result in end users totally inaccessible to online marketers.

Imagine a TV set that totally blocks out commercial and delivers totally uninterrupted programming.

Where does that leave advertisers?

Just remember the same technology that makes the Internet such a robust advertising media can be turned around. BHO active X control, and even at the packet level can be used to totally block advertising banners and pop ups.

llturbini said:
Imagine a TV set that totally blocks out commercial and delivers totally uninterrupted programming.

Where does that leave advertisers?

Did you see what TiVo does when people fast forward through commercials? It's from several months back, but there was something of a fuss about it.

I don't know how online advertisers will get around it. Not so easy to do product placements like they do on TV or in movies when the links themselves may be blocked.

Interesting link. That is sad. Some people like ads though look at the popularity of SAH progarms. I had an Aunt that watch that all day long. Not my cup of tea though.

The Internet is a unique advertising media sure there is alot of money driving marketing media and ther will always be that element. Some of it is presented in a very good way. Informative, entertaining and adding utility to a product. Exactly what advertising should be.

It is the abusers that as Linda put it as only looking for short term gain, they are really not benefiting anyone put themselfs.

And since the Internet is not owned by anyone no one person, or Corporate board can sell out one group or the other.

There are large GNU society that have the expertise and where all to write very restrictive browser and share them with the rest of the world. Just as well there are spaminators. Put I really thing that would stop if the Merchants buying marketing and advertising on the internet were educated and realized they are being taken for a wide by the unscropulus marketeers.

Thanks both of you for some VERY good comments on this issue. I have sent some affiliate managers over here to read this thread and also will be blogging about some issues that tie into this today.

MI
Back