The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

7 SEO Techniques That Google Smashed in 2007

Linda Buquet

affiliate
Unless you are an affiliate that only does pure play PPC, you probably are concerned with getting good search rankings especially with Google. Well affiliates are busy and many have not kept up with all the SEO changes as they should. Plus there is still a ton of good old misinformation floating around out there. I often see well meaning folks in the forums say "buy some links," "order a blog review," "start doing a bunch of link exchanges" as well as offering other advice that may not be a smart move in 2008.

CopyBrigher has a great post that highlights about 7 of the Google changes.
<blockquote><strong><a href="http://www.copybrighter.com/blog/7-seo-techniques-that-google-smashed-in-2007">7 SEO Techniques That Google Smashed in 2007</a></strong>
"The SEO playbook changes fast. Really fast. Techniques come and go on a monthly basis, and methods considered to be "the way and the light" can become obsolete – literally overnight. What helped a site rank yesterday can suddenly cause it to get penalized. Here are 7 ways that Google changed the SEO world in 2007..." </blockquote>

Thanks for the info.

Point 2 of the Article refers to Supplemental Links. Though they are not marked as such, you can still find Supplemental links in 2 ways.

1) Do a site search on AOL (AOL uses Googles search data). You will only get non-supplemental Results. You can compare with site search in Goggle to find supplemental Results.

2) Site search in Google using this format is said to work (may not work in future)

-site:5staraffiliateprograms.com/* site:5staraffiliateprograms.com

As always, Linda is a source for spectacular information. Your love of research never ceases to amaze me Linda. I see myself in you all of the time, scouring the web day and night always thirsty for more knowledge. Never resting until you can take that knowledge and hand it to someone else who can benefit from it. You're an amazing lady, Linda. Thanks.

Now, about this reciprocal linking thing...

I am obviously a Web 2.0 enthusiast and am always telling my subscribers how to get those fabulous one-way links by the truckload. But is it really time to junk my "link partners" page? Oh, the guilt. I would feel like I had to go to each and every site owner and personally explain why I had to get rid of their links. I don't know if I'm up for that sort of thing. I like the sites I link to. I have been very picky all along and would hate to do this.

Let's discuss...

What do you guys think? No more link partners or what? While I don't want to go around taking links off my site, I also don't want my rankings to suffer. Especially since I've been involved with such an aggressive linking strategy. I also don't want to misinform any of my readers.

What do we do here?

Sheree

There are ways to keep your link partners as long as you do it the smart way and if you do not have thousands.

Link pages are what gets people hit by google. If you do exchange, you need to do it from internal pages that are actual content. link pages (link farms) are a violation of T.O.S. It is considered a linking scheme. You can read this thread to get a better idea of proper link exchanges. http://affiliate-marketing-forums.5...g-web-traffic-you-can-have-your-cake-eat.html

Concerning supplemental results, Matt Cutts stated directly that the best way to get a page out of supplemental results is to get some high quality links pointing to the page in question. You have to remember that google wants pages that are "popular" and link popularity is the biggest factor that google uses to rate a pages popularity.

Directory links: These will not get you punished. paid links will get you punished anywhere, not just on directories. I always use directory links to diversify IP addresses of inbound links. they are not the highest of quality and have little seo power in the links alone, but when doing social bookmarking, articles, press releases ect... you have a limited number of sites that will pick you up, so you get repeated links from directories and Press Release sites and this can cause a problem with lowering link values because of repeated links from the same IP's.

Now, if you are writing on popular subjects you may get a lot of republishes on other sites, but how many republishes do you think you would get about sewer cleanup, or something like nails (for building purposes). This is just not interesting content that the majority of the population would be interested in. But if you have a travel site, you may get loads of republishes.

So diversifying ip addresses is important in a small niche market.

All of these changes are factual , but google has been warning people for months or even years about the coming changes in algorithnms.

The basics of this story is do not take the "popular" road and the shortcuts.

Take the road less traveled and it will make all the difference in the world.

Hope this helps,

Jim

WOW Sheree!
"As always, Linda is a source for spectacular information. Your love of research never ceases to amaze me Linda. I see myself in you all of the time, scouring the web day and night always thirsty for more knowledge. Never resting until you can take that knowledge and hand it to someone else who can benefit from it. You're an amazing lady, Linda. Thanks."
Thank you SOOOOO much for the pat on the back! I do try really hard to find info
that will benefit my forum members and blog readers. So nice to know it's appreciated!

Jim - once again you set the record straight!
You are such a wealth of information!
We appreciate you!

MI
Back