The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

7 must follow rules for your PPC campaigns

Andy Haskins

Landing Page Guys
7mustfollowrulesforppccampaigns.png

Building on Ians Facebook Ad Checklist walkthrough this guide will run through 7 short and sweet BASICS you must follow when setting up any PPC campaign.

PPC

When running a PPC campaign, there are a few small things you can do to ensure you aren't throwing money down the pan.

Although the pointers may seem generic, you must be considering them.

1. Check your links
Something I've been guilty of in the past, not checking my links. There's nothing worse than driving money in to a campaign only to send the visitor to a dead page.

2. Check your spelling
Unless you are bidding on mis-spelling then not checking your spelling can be a campaign killer. For the amount of time it takes, be sure to check your spelling. There's nothing less professional than someone who is too lazy to do this.

3. Don't go too broad
Take the time to drill down your keywords, make them longer tail and work on achieving a higher CTR through laser tight targeting. I personally feel you will have more control over your campaigns and be able to weed out the bad eggs when they appear.

4. Don't ignore geo-location
With the right targeting you can create a killer campaign with high CTR ads. Back in 2007 when I was running secured loan campaigns in the UK it was an eye opener to how many people preferred to click on adverts when their locality was included in the title or ad copy.

I'm not saying you need to do this for every campaign, but it's worth testing in particular niches.

5. Utilize 'Negative Keywords'
If you are going to keep your campaign quite broad then DON'T FORGET to utilize negative keywords. The last thing you want is untargeted traffic showing up to your site, wasting your budget and wrecking your ROI.

If you're selling 42" TVs you don't want someone popping up who wants to Sell their 42" TV (it happens!).

6. Don't skimp on tracking
Tracking what does and doesn't work is VITAL to a winning campaign. It's great having an advert with a high CTR but if the keyword/advert isn't actually converting then you're wasting your time.

Be sure to implement the correct tracking so you know what is providing you with the revenue and not just the CTRs, they are superficial in theory as they don't always provide the ROI (which leads on to the next point).

Finally....

7. Provide the user with what they want!
Everyone thinks us marketers are only in this game to make the $$. Now although that's one of the largest drivers you've got to make sure you are able to provide the end user with what they want.

Don't create PPC adverts that are misleading just to get the clicks, provide the user with the page they want to see. You will lower your costs, increase conversions and ultimately see an increase in your ROI.

Not only is this basic but it will assist your campaigns 10 fold by increasing conversions and lowering your ad rejections (as alot of people seem to think PPC platforms are against them when it's actually the marketer providing BS promises in their adverts)

Keep Your Head Screwed On

These 7 tips may be obvious and they may seem small but it's surprising how many people can get caught out by the small stuff. You need to be aware of what you are doing and what's going on around you.

If you don't have control of your campaigns you might as well stop right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also been guilty of the dead link thing. Fortunately, I discovered it before I'd spent much.

I also really need to figure out how to set up tracking better, so I can start to understand how all the pieces go together.

View attachment 1725

Building on Ians Facebook Ad Checklist walkthrough this guide will run through 7 short and sweet BASICS you must follow when setting up any PPC campaign.

PPC

When running a PPC campaign, there are a few small things you can do to ensure you aren't throwing money down the pan.

Although the pointers may seem generic, you must be considering them.

1. Check your links
Something I've been guilty of in the past, not checking my links. There's nothing worse than driving money in to a campaign only to send the visitor to a dead page.

2. Check your spelling
Unless you are bidding on mis-spelling then not checking your spelling can be a campaign killer. For the amount of time it takes, be sure to check your spelling. There's nothing less professional than someone who is too lazy to do this.

3. Don't go too broad
Take the time to drill down your keywords, make them longer tail and work on achieving a higher CTR through laser tight targeting. I personally feel you will have more control over your campaigns and be able to weed out the bad eggs when they appear.

4. Don't ignore geo-location
With the right targeting you can create a killer campaign with high CTR ads. Back in 2007 when I was running secured loan campaigns in the UK it was an eye opener to how many people preferred to click on adverts when their locality was included in the title or ad copy.

I'm not saying you need to do this for every campaign, but it's worth testing in particular niches.

5. Utilize 'Negative Keywords'
If you are going to keep your campaign quite broad then DON'T FORGET to utilize negative keywords. The last thing you want is untargeted traffic showing up to your site, wasting your budget and wrecking your ROI.

If you're selling 42" TVs you don't want someone popping up who wants to Sell their 42" TV (it happens!).

6. Don't skimp on tracking
Tracking what does and doesn't work is VITAL to a winning campaign. It's great having an advert with a high CTR but if the keyword/advert isn't actually converting then you're wasting your time.

Be sure to implement the correct tracking so you know what is providing you with the revenue and not just the CTRs, they are superficial in theory as they don't always provide the ROI (which leads on to the next point).

Finally....

7. Provide the user with what they want!
Everyone thinks us marketers are only in this game to make the $$. Now although that's one of the largest drivers you've got to make sure you are able to provide the end user with what they want.

Don't create PPC adverts that are misleading just to get the clicks, provide the user with the page they want to see. You will lower your costs, increase conversions and ultimately see an increase in your ROI.

Not only is this basic but it will assist your campaigns 10 fold by increasing conversions and lowering your ad rejections (as alot of people seem to think PPC platforms are against them when it's actually the marketer providing BS promises in their adverts)

Keep Your Head Screwed On

These 7 tips may be obvious and they may seem small but it's surprising how many people can get caught out by the small stuff. You need to be aware of what you are doing and what's going on around you.

If you don't have control of your campaigns you might as well stop right now.

Great tips Andy. As I am now moving into PPC campaigns these tips definitely come in handy. Thanks.

banners
Back