The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

404 error pages - profit from them!

Linda Buquet

affiliate
I was just reading Shawn's blog and he mentioned an idea I had never thought of but it's a good one. Monetize those 404 error pages by adding affiliate links. Also some good tips for monetizing domains.

Affiliate Program Tip Blog - Affiliates Making Money Off Parked Domains

"I've frequently encouraged affiliates to make use of their 404 error pages by serving up some relevant affiliate links to capitalize on the traffic that accidentally hits those pages."

http://www.affiliatetip.com/blog/archives/affiliates_making_money_off_parked_domains.html

I've been doing this for years.. on my dynamic sites.. my 404 page is a copy of my index page showing 10 -12 products with an error message at the top of the page..

I'm going to try something else.. a twist of this idea on a couple of new sites...
I'm going to promote "hot" hi demand products on my 404 pages dynamically..
from off site..

I want to see if there is potential for the impulse buy... on these pages... I get around 20,000-30,000 404 hits every month... on my network of sites... so my thinking is... this is my most viewed page...

so, I figure I'm losing a couple of hundred sales every month by not having something on all my 404 page smae goes for those other pages... 500, etc..

I had been creating customized version for all of them... with a message... but not any more... the vacation is over... these pages needto get to work and pay pops for the privledge... of life!

JOe

I normally redirect my visitors straight back to the homepage, but I think I will sort it out when I get some time and actually also make a copy of my homepage and add it to the 404 error page within a bit of text up the top of the page saying a little information on how they came to the page.

I don't know about affiliate links though.

banners
Back