The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

1and1 Internet - Review

S

SkinnerW

I have been using 1and1 hosting services for quite a while now and this is what I can say about them...

Domain Registration

Usually done within few hours.
Price for most popular TLD's com/net/org/info/name/us - $6.99/year

Unlimited number of domains can be managed on any shared hosting account.

Hosting Services

They offer shared services on Linux and MS servers - lots of storage and bandwidth.
Price is among the lowest (if not the lowest).
No reseller services

Speed - not the fastest but I would say above average.
Uptime - never saw my server being down
Server setup - they use latest STABLE versions of PHP and MySql

Admin Control Panels - using own software. Nice and user friendly. Many build-in features for easy integration with the website. Advanced statistics interface.

Email - webmail, POP3, IMAP servers. Webmail is kind of slow

Support - 24/7 phone support, prompt reply to emails, large FAQ base.
Phone support reps are not always competent but I had very little problems to call them.

Limitations
Limited amount of MySql databases per account. Max database size is 100MB
Limited amount of FTP users per account

Conclusion

For average webmaster who is looking for affordable shared account with a lot of storage and bandwidth and needs to manage few domains this is a very good choice. Easy and quick setup, reliable service and fat software package is offered with every new hosting account.

Currently 1and1 providing hosting services in almost 100 countries around the world and you can find out more about offers available in UK here

If you have any specific questions - feel free to ask and I will try to answer.

Nice review Skinner, i have never used their services but I have heard lots of good things about them. But I think they are into gimmics. I usually see loads of "free software bundle" as part of their hosting packages, this are mostly software you do not need or already have as part of you PC software bundle. I wonder if this makes some people choose them.

Nice review ... I use 1and1.co.uk as my main host and I've never had a problems with them (touch wood!) - agree with all your points

Temi - you're right there is lots a gimmicky free software with 1and1 which is best ignored

I wouldn't completely agree about the software... I got my package years back and it was:
- adobe GoLive
- Photoshop Elements
- Ulead GifAnimator
- Ranking toolbox (keyword selector tool)

Now that Adobe bought Macromedia - who knows what they will include...

I found them completely useless, I have software that does what the software they are offering do for me already so that will not be added value for me.

I currently use 1and1 for many things.

My only problem is they are not very flexible and i can't understand their support crew most of the time.

Overall, i am very satisfied with their services. I love their control panel.

My main site is hosted with 1and1, they are ok for most things but if you lease a managed dedicated server from them you have to use 1and1's own control panel and you can hardly do anything yourself.

Also when you have a dedicated server with them the server is not really dedicated as you have to use 1and1's mail server for sending and receiving mail.

banners
Back