The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

When buying ads, do you pay in advance?

temi

affiliate
When buying advert, be it text link or banner ad, I find that most vendors want you to pay many months ahead, some wants you to pay as far ahead as 1 year in advance.
I used to do this but stopped. What I have found out is that some of this sites are either not around, change hand or your advert is moved to a less desirable section, since you have paid in advance, you have very little leverage on the vendor.

Been looking for advert and it quite interesting that a few vendors insist on one year ahead, as you can guess, I told then where to go.

Would you or do you pay for adverts, 1 year in advance?

If I know the seller or the site is reputable then yes I usually pay a year in advance if required but if not I always do a whois on the domain and check archive.org to see how long that site has been around.

KP

Well, there are two sellers I know petty well, both members of this forum actually for over a year. One sold his site mid way though a one year advert, no refund forthcoming, the other re-organised his site, put my advert in some backwater........ not in a hurry to buy one year advert any more.

1 year I would say is ridiculous unless of course the site is well established.
Eg, done a deal recently for 6 months ad paid up front on directorycritic.com.

Damien the owner had just sold the site to Inetzeal and considering i found both to be of trustworthy people who I done with business with in the past this was fitting so went ahead with payment up front.

Generally I find people (including Vic ;)) do pay in advance. However, not a huge amount, usually three months.

One of my advertisers has bought advertising for a year for a cheaper rate. Moral of the story, know when a blogger is blowing his way through his income to cut advertising deals.

By the way, I'll be in New York from 28th May - 6th June :)

Temi,

You are correct. As I am publisher I feel that some times getting advance also problem. Better way is subscription model. For advertisers its more risky unless you can 100% trust the publisher.

For the big players, they usually make the terms. (adwords you pay later, adbrite you pay in advance, etc.)

Other than that, I usually do 50/50.

Good question temi!

When Im buying I dont mind paying a year up front if the space is discounted and the site is well established but I would always have a stipulation that if the site sold of changed my ad would be in the same place for the full term or a partial refund.
I dont know how enforceable it is but it gives owners something to think about if they do try to sell the site.

When selling space I offer better rates for a year up and many buyers take it. Its a chance on both sides, as the site could become a lot bigger during that year...

MI
Back