The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

What exactly am I selling?

Lise

affiliate
Howdy all,

I've just looked in the resources section and I am a little confused.

Some claim 50% payout (for example) but I have no idea what I'd be selling. How do I find out what I'm pushing to people? That info seems to be missing in the description, or did I miss it?

Howdy all,

Some claim 50% payout (for example) but I have no idea what I'd be selling. How do I find out what I'm pushing to people? That info seems to be missing in the description, or did I miss it?

You need to join somewhere that has offers. There are numerous places like clickbank, etc. Lets say you joined Clickbank. You would then go in and find a product to promote. It will say what percentage of the sale you get and what you need to do to get paid. Some require a sale (PPS) while others just require an email address to be put in (SOO, DOI). Some are recurring revenue and others are just once off payments. Once you find a product if it says 50% payout then you get 50% of the sale.

Its up to you to choose what you are promoting based on either what you think you can sell, what you want to sell, or what audience you currently have that may benefit from that product. For example if you ran a golf website you are not going to go choose an offer for baby products to promote to them. You are going to look for a golf related product. (This is just common sense).

You need to do one of these 2 steps first:

1. identify a target audience you can market to and then find a product to sell to them.
2. Find a product to sell and then identify the target audience who you think will buy it.

Then its just a matter of setting it all up, tracking it, optimising the traffi/offerc and then hopefully profiting.

You need to join somewhere that has offers. There are numerous places like clickbank, etc. Lets say you joined Clickbank. You would then go in and find a product to promote. It will say what percentage of the sale you get and what you need to do to get paid. Some require a sale (PPS) while others just require an email address to be put in (SOO, DOI). Some are recurring revenue and others are just once off payments. Once you find a product if it says 50% payout then you get 50% of the sale.

Its up to you to choose what you are promoting based on either what you think you can sell, what you want to sell, or what audience you currently have that may benefit from that product. For example if you ran a golf website you are not going to go choose an offer for baby products to promote to them. You are going to look for a golf related product. (This is just common sense).

You need to do one of these 2 steps first:

1. identify a target audience you can market to and then find a product to sell to them.
2. Find a product to sell and then identify the target audience who you think will buy it.

Then its just a matter of setting it all up, tracking it, optimising the traffi/offerc and then hopefully profiting.
Ok, is there a way to find out in advance what products a program has before I sign up with them?

Ok, is there a way to find out in advance what products a program has before I sign up with them?

Sometimes you can see their products available, other times you need to signup and get approved. If you are signing up it shouldn't cost you anything so I suggest signing up to 3-4 of them and then start comparing the products/commissions and find something you want to sell.

Sometimes you can see their products available, other times you need to signup and get approved. If you are signing up it shouldn't cost you anything so I suggest signing up to 3-4 of them and then start comparing the products/commissions and find something you want to sell.
There are so many programs, I don't want to sign up with just anybody. Or maybe I'll be lucky to just get accepted by any old program as I'm a shiny new green newbie...

There are so many programs, I don't want to sign up with just anybody. Or maybe I'll be lucky to just get accepted by any old program as I'm a shiny new green newbie...

I would go mainstream site such as clickbank to start with as they have a lot of offers. But do a search around the journeys and see what other people are using. It can take a few days to get approval at some of these places so get cracking and start applying. I am newbie as well so others may have a better idea then me on which ones are easier to use/find good offers.

The other two I would recommend looking into are peerfly and maxbounty.

I would go mainstream site such as clickbank to start with as they have a lot of offers. But do a search around the journeys and see what other people are using. It can take a few days to get approval at some of these places so get cracking and start applying. I am newbie as well so others may have a better idea then me on which ones are easier to use/find good offers.
ok, thanks. I'll look at them.

Lise, when you say green, do you mean you're going into the "green" products/services niche? If so, I can send you to some networks. There are also good companies with in-house networks.

I'm pushing online business material on one site and natural/organic products on another. Most are through in-house networks (some accept you right away and others take a few days to review your application, but they're all respectable companies) and some are through networks that specialize in the niches. I also use VigLink. They affiliate your links and link text that matches products their merchants sell, so it's pretty easy to use.

Let me know if you want the natural/organic networks and in-house programs.

@Lise I'm not sure if you are confusing CPA (cost-per-action/acquisition) offers with CPS (cost-per-sale).

Clickbank is an online merchant marketplace for affiliates. You can go shopping for products (usually digital memberships, software, and the like) you want to promote.

Most of the programs in the Resources area are CPA networks, which pay you for getting leads, pin submits, and sometimes sales, depending on the offer.

Which one do you hope to work with? Or do you know yet?

Lise, when you say green, do you mean you're going into the "green" products/services niche? If so, I can send you to some networks. There are also good companies with in-house networks.

I'm pushing online business material on one site and natural/organic products on another. Most are through in-house networks (some accept you right away and others take a few days to review your application, but they're all respectable companies) and some are through networks that specialize in the niches. I also use VigLink. They affiliate your links and link text that matches products their merchants sell, so it's pretty easy to use.

Let me know if you want the natural/organic networks and in-house programs.
I mean green as in inexperienced, but I like the idea of green as you describe it too.
I want to think about what I'm going to push and feel good about it rather than push anything just to make a buck whether or not I believe in it. Money is great and all, but at what cost to me? I'm not talking just my $$ investment.
Do you have a follow along post Red?

@Lise I'm not sure if you are confusing CPA (cost-per-action/acquisition) offers with CPS (cost-per-sale).

Clickbank is an online merchant marketplace for affiliates. You can go shopping for products (usually digital memberships, software, and the like) you want to promote.

Most of the programs in the Resources area are CPA networks, which pay you for getting leads, pin submits, and sometimes sales, depending on the offer.

Which one do you hope to work with? Or do you know yet?

Well, to be honest, after the last time I dove in and got burned real bad, I am taking my time and feeling my way around rather than reacting to this or that.
The idea of spending my time (and $$) getting clicks or whatnot, doesn't appeal to me. I'd like to build a few sites and get them up more organically and have them be around for a while rather than sky rocket and crash.
Am I dreaming here or is this possible?

I mean green as in inexperienced, but I like the idea of green as you describe it too.
I want to think about what I'm going to push and feel good about it rather than push anything just to make a buck whether or not I believe in it. Money is great and all, but at what cost to me? I'm not talking just my $$ investment.
Do you have a follow along post Red?

No, not at the moment. I'm new to this forum and relatively new to affiliate marketing. Before affiliate marketing, my marketing experience was with off line companies and techniques. Mainly only marketed my businesses online.

If it helps, think about what interests you. I'm into health and organics, which is why I chose that niche. I also marketed organics off line in the past. It interests me, it's my lifestyle, and therefore the readers of the blog should be able to see me in what I post and feel comfortable. I'm only pushing products I personally used, still use, or could stand behind and may use in the future. Same applies to my online business site. It's easier to push something you yourself trust and are passionate about. Whatever that is, there's money in it.

Some will say not all niches are good because the money is harder to make or the niche may be flooded. But if you enjoy it, and show it in your site, the traffic will come and you will profit.

Most of the info I've found in the few places I frequent is legitimate. But there are also snake oil salesman and greedy you-know-whats lurking around as well. When you decide on a niche, don't let anyone talk you out of it.

I may set up a 'follow along', but not sure when I want to yet. Not sure if I should now, or wait until I have sites in order first, or what. I'm currently going through a trial-and-error phase organizing my sites, building traffic, and finding ways around my limitations. I set some goals for myself that are proving to be quite the challenge considering my current situation.

But I love challenges.

As far as you being burned, I've been burned myself. Not mentioning the companies, but I got scammed big time. One company didn't even pay me for sales I did make. If you guessed this was MLM's, you're right (not that all MLM's are scams, there are respectable ones). The key is to learn from those events. What led up to the burn? When you see those signs sonewhere else, that place would be a good place to avoid.

Yes, it's possible to grow organically. Organic growth is the best growth. It's also time consuming, as you need to build yourself up as an authority in the niche and convert visitors into repeat readers.

Howdy all,

Hi Lise. I am sorry for the experience you are having. I know that there is always an option to select the type of products or services you will be selling or marketing advance. I just think there might be a missing link in the communication channel. because honestly you can not be able to sell or promote something you have no clue about. You need to seek help from the customer care without further delays. I am sure you will be helped around.

Well, to be honest, after the last time I dove in and got burned real bad, I am taking my time and feeling my way around rather than reacting to this or that.
The idea of spending my time (and $$) getting clicks or whatnot, doesn't appeal to me. I'd like to build a few sites and get them up more organically and have them be around for a while rather than sky rocket and crash.
Am I dreaming here or is this possible?

Gotcha. No churn and burn. No CPA.

Long term is an excellent strategy and it sounds like you have the commitment to keep a few sites running.

Both Amazon and ClickBank have been around a long time (in internet terms), you could use both and offer a mix of products. When you get things going well, you could even add a CPA banner in your sidebar or something.

So, to answer your question - no, you're not dreaming and yes, it's possible. Lots of people do it. Just be aware that it takes some time and work to build, maintain and gain site popularity. You may want to only do one site at a time. :)

No, not at the moment. I'm new to this forum and relatively new to affiliate marketing. Before affiliate marketing, my marketing experience was with off line companies and techniques. Mainly only marketed my businesses online.

If it helps, think about what interests you. I'm into health and organics, which is why I chose that niche. I also marketed organics off line in the past. It interests me, it's my lifestyle, and therefore the readers of the blog should be able to see me in what I post and feel comfortable. I'm only pushing products I personally used, still use, or could stand behind and may use in the future. Same applies to my online business site. It's easier to push something you yourself trust and are passionate about. Whatever that is, there's money in it.

Some will say not all niches are good because the money is harder to make or the niche may be flooded. But if you enjoy it, and show it in your site, the traffic will come and you will profit.

Most of the info I've found in the few places I frequent is legitimate. But there are also snake oil salesman and greedy you-know-whats lurking around as well. When you decide on a niche, don't let anyone talk you out of it.

I may set up a 'follow along', but not sure when I want to yet. Not sure if I should now, or wait until I have sites in order first, or what. I'm currently going through a trial-and-error phase organizing my sites, building traffic, and finding ways around my limitations. I set some goals for myself that are proving to be quite the challenge considering my current situation.

But I love challenges.

As far as you being burned, I've been burned myself. Not mentioning the companies, but I got scammed big time. One company didn't even pay me for sales I did make. If you guessed this was MLM's, you're right (not that all MLM's are scams, there are respectable ones). The key is to learn from those events. What led up to the burn? When you see those signs sonewhere else, that place would be a good place to avoid.

Yes, it's possible to grow organically. Organic growth is the best growth. It's also time consuming, as you need to build yourself up as an authority in the niche and convert visitors into repeat readers.
Thanks Red, glad to hear that there are some folks still around who think like I do.
I admire those who jump in all wholeheartedly and take risks and make it, so nothing against those folks, but for me, I'm taking my time.

Hi Lise. I am sorry for the experience you are having. I know that there is always an option to select the type of products or services you will be selling or marketing advance. I just think there might be a missing link in the communication channel. because honestly you can not be able to sell or promote something you have no clue about. You need to seek help from the customer care without further delays. I am sure you will be helped around.
That's why I posted the original question. I want to make sure that I align myself with programs that I believe in and not just any old click and bait (as I like to call them). I may not make $$ in the first month, but I'd like to see my site/sites make me money long-term.

Gotcha. No churn and burn. No CPA.

Long term is an excellent strategy and it sounds like you have the commitment to keep a few sites running.

Both Amazon and ClickBank have been around a long time (in internet terms), you could use both and offer a mix of products. When you get things going well, you could even add a CPA banner in your sidebar or something.

So, to answer your question - no, you're not dreaming and yes, it's possible. Lots of people do it. Just be aware that it takes some time and work to build, maintain and gain site popularity. You may want to only do one site at a time. :)
My plan is to start with one site, make it work, then add another. I've been looking at my growth in terms of a year rather than a few weeks.
That's where I went wrong the last time to think of it. The urgency that many programs/affiliates create makes one not really think things out. Throw all this money at your niche and then see all this $$ flood in. We all know someone that this worked for them, but it didn't for me and I learned that integrity is my first requirement.
I like your saying - no churn and burn. That's my new motto :D

MI
Back