The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Thoughts on sub-domains?

kentonian

affiliate
So, I'm a total noob. I consider myself to be fairly technical literate, though certainly not a programmer by trade.

Here's my first question. I'm thinking of signing up for cj.com and am in the process of coming up with a domain name. I'm thinking longer term I'll want to affiliate to several verticals/product types, such that I'll reg a domain name and then spin a bunch of verts off of it.

foo. com
niche1.foo .com
niche2.foo .com
...etc.

Wondering about people's experiences with taking this approach, and how your experiences relate to transacting with cj.com (or others).

Any help much appreciated.
Kentonian

Hi Kentonian,

Welcome to 5 Star. Thanks for joining us.

I think that strategy works well if all the niches are related. So if main domain was petsgalore.com you could have dogs.petsgalore.com, cats.petsgalore.com
but I would not put totally unrelated niches in the same domain I don't think.

Hi Linda,
Thanks for the quick response!
Unrelated things is actually what i had in mind.

So, something like:

tigerlillies.foo .com
techgadgets.foo .com
bowlingballs.foo .com

I'm planning on starting simple; and only doing 1 or 2 at the outset, but if (*when*) successful, bolting more on as I go as an effort to ease site administration as well as having the longer term luxury of rolling them all up into the uber foo.com

Wondering if others have tried this strategy, and what kind of issues they've had to contend with, and/or successes.

Apologies for the redundancy; and thanks again for your thoughts!

from an SEO perspective subdomains are generally seen as seperate to the main domain so it would be better to build content on the same domain with a good folder structure:

domain.com/niche rather than niche.domain.com

Worth noting.

banners
Back