The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

The Final Word : Different Domains, Diff IPS

pstatus

affiliate
Okay, some say it helps in SEO, some say it doesn't.

Who has the final answer. I have about 30 domains on 2 ips. Some are related and interlinked. Now, is this a problem.

Will my sites benefit more from being on different class c ips?

I here conflicting stories.. i would like the final convincing answer with support if possible.. about to invest..

thanks,

Ben

Its ok to interlink the website with same theme. It will not harm your ranking at all. One single shared server can host millions of web sites and who knows who is the owner, as no spiders checks for the owner status, it only checks for the IP. A number of sites being hosted on same shared server. i have also interlinked my many site. only thing to take in consideration is the relevancy. if the sites are relevant we can interlink it will help getting ranking boost for each other.

Will my sites benefit more from being on different class c ips?

Simple answer - Yes.

Don't interlink sites on the same IP, especially if you own them because G, Y or M are not silly and they buy whois info so they know that domain is yours anyways. Simply buy another IP for that site, it doesn't cost much to do.

"if the sites are relevant we can interlink it will help getting ranking boost for each other."

I think someone gave you false information there.

KP

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience sites on the same IP are OK to interlink applying the same relevency and quality criteria as any other linking arrangement.

We have (or should have ) known for some time that introducing links from any site or directory regardless of quality or relevence will not help and in fact may be to the sites detriment. This underlying principle of quality and relevence is the same when on shared IPs. Sharing an IP in no way diminishes the value of quality relevent links. It does however drastically increase the detection rate of CONTRIVED links for links sake.

At a search engine conference once, the rep from Google told me more or less exactly what I have personally found since and describe above.

from experience, I one had a problem where a couple of my sites were sharing IPs and one was accused of spamming. What actually happened was that someone was using a old unused and forgotten about web enquiry form. We removed the page, but because the sites shared an IP, effectively all of them were accused.

IMO, Google judges relevence as:
"Like Minded"
"Theme Sharing"
"Related Market Sector"
and other text descriptive etc content .

Comon designer I would definately say is not in the mix.

If the search engines know who owns the domains from the whois information then logically there should be no advantage being on a different class-c for domains with identical whois, but there is. I don't think they use whois info as standard, perhaps just for investigating spam sites manually.

Google also know what domains you have registered in your anlytics account, webmaster tool, Adsense account, what mx records are mapped to Gmail for domains etc.

Should we worry about this? Do you have multiple Google identities? Do you vary your whois info?

Are we talking theoretical risk or real risk?

The most important issue here is to have "Nothing to Hide"
Google is not looking to bury good sites that use methods within their guidelines. If you are taking a flyer because you think the risk of being buried or banned is worth it, then covering your tracks has to start from day one. It would be folly to think that if you move the hosting around, that Google won't remember that they were once "Co-Hosted".

If you've got nothing to hide, this additional complication can be ignored and more time spent on the things that matter.

Good point Smeagin, but again it easy to get info about changes but are they using it in the algorithm.

Who doesn't break the rules? Webmaster Guidelines

I am sure the rules on linking change daily. They are now saying:

Excessive reciprocal links or excessive link exchanging ("Link to me and I'll link to you.")

What is excessive? 1 no, 2, no, 200 dunno

I am sure that is new.

Who doesn't break the rules?

I am sure the rules on linking change daily.

TB, your two points above show why it is bad to algo chase. Algo chasing is something I have NEVER done, I hoenstly can't remember the last time I looked at the Google webmaster guidelines because I KNOW I will not breach them.

White hat is NOt about working within the google guidelines, white hat is about best practices.

'get links from other on topic sites' is what has always been said. OF COURSE the guidelines change regularly, because the manipulators change tactics regularly.

Many people are using 3 way link schemes at the moment, well guess what, sometime in the future, Google will identify these sites as bad neighbourhoods, and WALLOP, we will once again see a shed load of 'my site has disappeared' type posts.

Make your site the best it can be, get one way links, write articles and do it PROPERLY write some for shotgunning across as many sites as possibel, write some for distribution across a handfull, write some for exclusivity on sites where you have contacted the owner, and write some for your own site.

Promote your site well, and the benefits are long term. Chase algo's once, and you WILL be chasing them all your online life.

If you think you know better than OWG, then go ahead and break the guidelines using whatever camouflage you like, but eventually you may need another domain name and start all over again.

I like asymmetrical linking (the real terminology for 3 way linking) but I can't help but agree with OWG to a certain extent.

The thing is with asymmetrical linking is that most people that do it don't see the wood beyond the tree's, meaning they just see a one way back link to there site.

I agree with the bad neighborhood thing and the same applies to reciprocals but if done right it can be powerful.

Asymmetrical linking is the most risky type of linking strategy. I think there will be a shake up soon and we'll see something similar happen like the Florida update. Anyone remember what happened then?

If you do you'll know why it's risky. Just as the idiots at BigMouthMedia.com.

The google guidelines are exactly what it says on the tin. Just guidelines, nothing more nothing less.

Like OWG says, he will never breach them because he is ethical in his approach so unless you're spamming etc etc there's no need to worry about the guidelines. I have never read them to be honest.

Algorithms are like women's mood swings, they change everyday so it's pointless trying to keep up with them. Just do things right and you'll be fine and you're site will always make money.

KP

Interesting debate

I have a directory that offers free listings in exchange for links. I don't think it is excessive reciprocal link exchanging yet, but there will come a point in time when it is in G's opinion.
I am in two minds whether to stop it and the reason is this - it is quite niche so the links are relevant. It perhaps isn't best practice, but it doesn't feel unethical either.

What are all the other directory owners doing?

In my mind I am concerned about something like Florida or whatever it was called happening again not because I feel I am being unethical but because if there was anything major there would be innocent casualities, like the oversized shoemaker described in John Battell's book on Google. To mitigate this I am doing things on different servers, etc perhaps it is a bit paranoid... eggs and baskets

OWG says "Promote your site well" and I totally agree with this and although I don't do much article marketing I do send out press releases which do get picked up - there are thousands of column inches to be filled every week. It is all about PR - that's public relations before anybody starts shouting : )

Interesting tb987.
Unfortunately, it is a fact that there is a disproportionate percentage of Link requests and Directory promotions plus the consequential little green bar chasers on this forum. There is a massive amount of time and effort put into this "Religion" instead of quality Web Mastering that would result in less twitchy and longer lasting success without the nervousness of dreading the next algo tweak or heaven forbid Florida Mk2.

Quality web content, whether a directory or any other type, will attract it's own incoming links providing some time and effort is spent promoting the site. I know it's harder work and may take longer than the "You link to me and I'll link to you" strategy, but vulnerability to the fickle and fluctuating Algorithm then becomes others worry not yours.

Google have a statement on their website technical and webmaster guidelines along the lines of "don't get involved in linking schemes designed to increase your sites page rank" . Now those obcessed with PR ARE doing just that. they are link building like crazy to their home page, they are using daisy chain file linking structures, and they are using NOFOLLOW on some of their links.

So here is me with my search engineers hat on.

OK boys, today we are going to have a look at NOFOLOW abuse. pull up a site with
1. nofollow on the homepage
2. blocks of outbound link that are NOT nofollowed
3. PR value above 5.0
4. 20% above the average ratio of homepage to innerpage links

That little list there would identify a HUGE amount of link sellers, ot possible link sellers (PR Abusers).

can you see how EASY some people are making it for the spam team to identify their sites? Now keep in mind that if identified as being PR maniuplators, they will be deemed bad neighbourhoods. ANYONE linking to these sites will then also get their trust factor affected. this can lower the bar on their site, and cost them rankings.

So like google say, don't get involved with shcemes aimed at increasing your PR'. OR, if you do,
a) make sure you are clever about it and don't behave like a little sheep doing the same as everyone else.
b) make sure you can afford to lose your sites.

banners
Back