The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

The Affiliate Lifestyle

Robtroll

affiliate
Hey guys.

I'm looking at starting a affiliate business and am trying to collect as much information and knowledge as possible (While knowing nothing is quite like experience).

Obviously, I had the image of working the hours i wanted, holidays when i wanted etc. as I will be working at home. But have come to realise that its not quite like that. Or is it?

I'm interested to know the kind of hours you guys put into your business. Do you work 9-5? 7-10am? I imagine there is only really so much you can do in a day. :confused:

What kind of lifestyle do you really have? And is it the one that you hoped it would be?

Thanks all,
Rob

Hi Rob,

Great question! Most of the things you read about the affiliate lifestyle and making money while you're on the beach, is hyped info trying to sell you the "dream" and of course some ebook or course.

In reality affiliate marketing, like any business is HARD work and long hours when you are getting started. Possibly after a couple years of hard work you could have the lifestyle you are looking for. But it really isn't "get rich quick and easy" the way people trying to sell you stuff would lead you to believe.

Here we don't try to sell you anything so will give you the straight scoop. :p

Dig into the stickies in the newbie forum for some of the best tips about how to get started and then read the stickies in the niche marketing forum as picking the right niche is key!

Already started :p Thanks Linda.

I hoping to achieve a respectable amount per month in a years time in which I can quit my current job and hopefully do 9-5 at home. Or something in that ball park.

I'm not interested in holidays and a fancy car and such. More time with my family is my goal (of course while making more money than I would in my current job). Being a chef, I work incredibly long hours on a minimum wage. So doing this means I get the better of both worlds :)

Its 5AM. I've been at it since 8AM yesterday. :) Extreme case, as an August 31st deadline is around the corner for me and I have lots to do. I've done quite a bit on the affiliate side of things, but for the most part I'm a merchant (IT Services & Outsourcing, etc lalala...) But work is work is work - no matter who the boss is (even if its you!) You get out what you put in.

Sure, as you become more successful things can be put on a bit more auto-pilot as you make money in your sleep. But you will still be working very hard.

I won't lie. I put a lot of time into my business. I'm a perfectionist and workaholic by nature. And yet at the same time, I can take the day off for my daughters' birthday or spend an afternoon at the movies with my friends. THAT is the lifestyle for me. It's not making easy money on a beach, but it is the ability to control how much I make and how much I put into it.

Like Linda stated. If you are ready for a year to two years of 18 hour days, hair pulling, frustration, heartburn, disgust and a multitude of other problems and rewards of the learning curve, then you are cut of the right cloth to make it as an affiliate marketer.

Now, for something concerning what I noticed already in your attitude that needs to be touched on firstly. "I'm not interested in holidays and a fancy car and such" That statement tells me that you are willing to "settle" and this is the starting words of failure.

More time with your family sitting around the living room broke watching re runs of married with children is probably not what you have in mind, but that is the attitude you are giving yourself. The attitude of "as long as I get by and can suffer with my family" is not a good mindset.

You either want it all...including the car's, homes and care free vacations to share with your family, or you don't. I am not trying to be harsh, but why go through 12 to 24 months of hard and driving work for average. Do you think you are not good enough to give your family the dream house? The dream cars? The dream vacations?

I guess my point is that there has to be a reward to endure what you are considering taking on, so why settle for a lesser reward when you do not have to. Don't ever let yourself talk you out of what is within reach after paying the price.

Contrary to popular belief, this is not "hard" like general labor. It in no way can be compared to digging ditches. But this is hard work because it is mentally taxing. So guard your mind, watch what you say...even more so to yourself and never talk yourself into failure and settling for less.

Study everyday, stick to the basics and most of all, guard your mind and mouth, and your wildest dreams can and will come true.

WOW. Thanks for that jcorkern.
It's not really what I meant, but it is definatly something to think about when I start.

I'll definatly get the most that I can get out of it. :)

MI
Back