The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Submitting to Directories

mikeinlincs

affiliate
This maybe a daft question.

When you guys submit your website to a directory, do you use the same wording in the description, you have used when you submitted it to other directories ?

just thinking about duplicate content.

Mike :)

I generally do chop and change it. If you use something like Directory submitter it randomly rotates description.

I use Directory Submitter. I have added/removed directories from the list and I don't spend all day using it, but it appears to work well.

The only problem is a lot of the dir's in there have changed focus or ended, but it seems to be doing okay.

Use different description

Hi,

It is better to use different anchor text and descriptions for directory submission.

Hi,

Keep changing your anchor text and description while using directory submission.

I use Directory Submitter. I have added/removed directories from the list and I don't spend all day using it, but it appears to work well.

I believe this is a semi automatic directory submitter? which tool you use. I am a die hard fan of directories, they're still the most legitimate way to get backlinks.

This maybe a daft question.

When you guys submit your website to a directory, do you use the same wording in the description, you have used when you submitted it to other directories ?

just thinking about duplicate content.

Mike :)

Try to change it as much as possible. It is both beneficial to the submitter and directory owner to not have the same content - especially if you are submitting to somebody who has several directories.

If this is the case then the directory owner could do 1 of 3 things. Take time out and edit the titles and descriptions, delete the submission or if they do not care about their directories just go ahead and approve it without even so much as a review!

Personally, I go for the first two.

When submitting a site to several directories, it's really better to use different title and description. In this way, you can target more keywords for your site.

Directory SUbmission Tips

I am manual submission service from last three years approx and i saw till now that most of client give us approx 6 titles and 3 descriptions to submit his links to 1000 directories.

If you will change your descriptions for each directory then its so boring and time consuming process.

In manual submission service generally we submit link within 3 to 4 days but for each directory if you change your descs and titles then it will take up to one week.

According to me generally you should concentrate you mind on titles because its main part of your submission and directories will give you link also with your title text and remaining descriptions are working as definition of your site and as a contents of that directory.

If you are using 1 titles for 50 directories and then change them regular for per 50 then its very beneficial than normal submission.

Thanks.

How many directories can you submit to in one week for instance before you may get penalised by Google or another search engine?

you are the SEm dude, you should be able to answer that one :D

it isn't that simple. SEO by numbers went out a long time ago. EVERYTHING with google is relative.

I'm not THE SEM dude, I'm a SEM dude and one that is a bit out of practice. Thanks for the reply, that still helps

I was teasing you :)

Anyhow,

get some links with meaningful anchor text, get some with basic site name, change as much as you can to make it look like natural linking.

Hope that helps

OWG

Teasing is fine, I know you OWGs have great sense of humour (my father-in-law is one and cracks me up on a regular basis)
get some links with meaningful anchor text, get some with basic site name, change as much as you can to make it look like natural linking.

Hope that helps

OWG

That definatey helps, thanks for your reply on the other post I wrote as well.

How many directories can you submit to in one week for instance before you may get penalised by Google or another search engine?

I think directory submission can not penalize any site otherwise every one will start submission of his competitor whole days to penalize his site.

SEs ignore links (Not count as backlinks for your site) in quick and fast submission case (Like auto submission).

My thinking is different, when I started doing seo I researched a lot.
When It comes to directory submission I checked some famous directories like dmoz and google.
When they can share the same data, and many of the directories who uses dmoz's some particular category to make it own niche directory share the same data as dmoz and have no problem at all, then I thought I'll also not be in trouble if follow the directory industry leader.
I do not care about the duplicate because, IF AN ANCHOR TEXT REPRESENTS THE SAME LINK IT SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS DUPLICATE. SAME IS THE CASE WITH DESCRIPTION. Why I'll confuse the bot to see some different description about one particular website. It may be varied but must yelled the same meaning. Since we use description to give an overview of a website. and one website can be summarized in many way but not in different manner.
I use different Title and description just to target some more keywords but not to avoid duplicate content.

Regards
John

John, I am going to disagree with some of what you have said there. I think you might be confusing cause and effect.

DMOZ & Google share data, cool it is a done deal, so why would they penalise themselves or their directory partner. As for all the other sites, Google seriously attacked DMOZ clones a year or two back, and while you can get away with puling niche data from DMOZ, if you copy large chunks, you will eventual;ly get pinged.

Duplicate content has absolutely nothing to do with using the same titles etc, it is the un-natural linking pattern algo that gets triggerred not a dup filter.

And it IS possible to harm a competitors ranking using rapid link building as one of the weapons in the arsenal :(

MI
Back