The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

starting out with affiliate networks

desgensd

affiliate
Good day everyone,

Before starting out, I just wanted to say that I find the 5 star forums one of the most informative forums ever ! It's pretty amazing the goldmine of information you can find here ! and the members are very friendly. Many thanks to the creators of this great site !

OK...here is my thread...Finishing my first affiliate website before launching, I have a few last newbie questions my site is on the hosting server.

1 ) Based on some threads I have read on affiliate networks, they evaluate your website when you join to accept your membership. Would it cause a problem to join an affiliate network if my site has just been launched ? (low traffic and a few articles (about 20) ?

2) Would there be a problem for a canadian resident to join certain affiliate networks when I will fill out the registration forms (ex: with the social security number).

3) Based on your many experiences, is it OK to start out by joining 2 affiliate networks or more ?

Thanking you in advance for all your help,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thank you SO much for the kind words. We have great members
and they help make this forum what it is.

1) It won't cause a problem, but they may not approve you. Depends on the network, some are stricter than others. Then with most you need to apply to each merchant you want to promote and get approved by them. The more targeted your site is, the better chance you will have if it's new.

2) It should not cause a problem. I doubt most networks screen out Canadians.

3) Joining 2 is no problem, other than the fact it may divert your efforts and slow you down a little.

Hi Linda,

The site I built (it's a blog) is actually focusing on a specific type of reader. Would it be preferable to launching it a certain period of time before joining the networks ?

Tks.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Here's the deal as I see it. Other's may have another viewpoint.
THIS IS A NEW THEORY or STRATEGY I've been thinking about a lot lately
for n00bs. It may sound like I'm SLOWING down the affiliate marketing part of the puzzle, but what I'm really trying to say is 1st build a solid foundation before worrying about affiliate links. TELL ME IF THIS MAKES SENSE.

It takes quite a bit of traffic to make any sales.
You may need to get 2000 visitors before you even make your 1st sale.
Many variables, could be a lot more or a little less.

So what I WOULD DO (and this is hard cuz I know you're excited to join programs and make money), is don't even worry about joining anything yet.
Just work on building your content and figuring out how to market.

I'm not saying this so you have more content to help you get approved by the networks, my focus is on something else - the ease and success of even getting the site off the ground.

If you barely even have a site going and no traffic, then you DIVERT your time, energy and attention to learning the network, picking merchants, figuring out the best placement for your links and a MYRIAD of other things that go into the affiliate program piece of the puzzle - NOW you've used up time you could have been building content and learning how to market. So you have a tiny bit of a site started, no traffic and some affiliate links. This will equal $0.

An analogy is - you build a store and just get the walls up. No carpet, not paint. You have not stated advertising yet - so have no customers. But you STOP before you even have the inside of the store finished and put time and energy into ordering product and building inventory. So now you have the stuff to sell BUT it does you no good because the inside of the store isnt even finished so you can't advertise yet and have no customers.

You have a shell of a store and some products and that's it. You've wasted time getting products in and you don't even have the display shelves (content) set up yet to put the products (links) on.

Does this make sense?

Fake time-line example.

100 hours. IF you add links right off the bat
50 hours site building and learning to market - 50 hours learning network and adding links. So you have a bit of a site, barely any traffic and some links. Big whoop!

100 hours. Build 1st links later
90 hours site building and marketing. Now you have almost twice the site built up, giving surfers a reason to come and more spider food. You've worked on marketing so are getting some traffic. THEN in the 90th hour, after you have a good foundation and things ready are starting to roll, you take time to start figuring out and adding the affiliate piece of the puzzle.

Tiny side benefit you have a little more to show networks and merchants to get approved. But the main benefit is growing and building your "store" in the right order. No point in ordering products until the store is built and the marketing plan ready to go. :)

Hi Linda,

I think it'a a great idea. It's preferable to render the site live "on the web" and start building the content to obtain more credibility while starting to build traffic. Once the traffic is reasonable and the site is rich in quality content, then the affiliate links should be added.

I personaly prefer to take the time it requires to ensure as much as possible this project works !

Thanks for the advice Linda. I greatly appreciate all other comments or suggestions you can bring !

Daniel

1 ) Based on some threads I have read on affiliate networks, they evaluate your website when you join to accept your membership. Would it cause a problem to join an affiliate network if my site has just been launched ? (low traffic and a few articles (about 20) ?

As Linda said it is no problem. Big affiliates started off just like yourself! Affiliate Networks are always on the hunt for content affiliates.

2) Would there be a problem for a canadian resident to join certain affiliate networks when I will fill out the registration forms (ex: with the social security number).

There should be no problem.

3) Based on your many experiences, is it OK to start out by joining 2 affiliate networks or more ?

Do your homework first and then sign up to the networks that suits your business model. There are a number of great Networks out there so you should not have a problem.

Oh and Daniel, I meant to mention earlier that ShareResults is based in Canada and has great programs, so you should check them out. I'm sure Jamie could help make sure you get approved and point you in the right direction in terms of some programs they have that may be a good match for you.

banners
Back