Some Say, "Forget Google!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

espmartin

affiliate
At times, whether you agree with the "Google as Boss" statement,
or just feel they are a great company without any faults, its
very tempting to say, "forget trying to win over Google", and
just do what you do regardless of their "Webmaster Guidelines".

But for me at least, I can't do that. On a few of the sites I
run, my SE traffic is over 60% Google, with Yahoo next and then
the rest. On other sites, I have a closer percentage of Yahoo to
Google - like 48% Google, then Yahoo.

So what kinds of sites you have under your control could you
say, "Forget Google", due to heavy traffic from the others?

I think I could say that only for my blog, I get a lot of direct traffic and many other blogs link to me ( or I just comments on blogs and I get vizitors ) and what I get from google is not that important. But for the rest of the sites I am working at, Google is the key, eventhough I would like to say "forget about G". If you have got to that point where you can live with or without Google, you are an authority site.

We have to just live with it now. They have made a larger then Life image for themselves.

All the sites that I manage get 60% plus of "First Time" visitors from Google. So what I do is optimise for Google and let the others fend for themselves. As for Google Webmaster Guidelines, I find it OK to comply with them and in fact the others between them have the same or similar objectives when it comes to quality results. Because their objectives are broadly the same, the Algos, Filters and other Weightings will be along similar lines.

40% of my traffic is from Google, I can't just forget it. I'm grateful for Google, I only wish I was more patient.

I have a website with Myspace themes that gets no traffic from google at all just from my myspace friends so proof myspace can still send you good traffic if very related

I don't think anyone was implying that Google is the only game in Town only that in just about all cases, it is/can/should be the Biggest Game in Visitorsville.

Unfortunately I would say that you cant forget about Google full stop if you want to make money (as most websites do). At the moment (maybe until Microsoft or someone else comes up with something 'cool') Google will dictate the way.

I do still feel that Google sould 'answer' more to some higher power to explain some of its policies and practices.
-----------------
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
banners
Back