The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

social bookmarking

Well, depends on how much time you have
how much marketing skill you have
and how much money you have.

If you have no ad budget and lots of time social marketing can be good for SOME types of offers and a great way to drive traffic.

If you have good marketing skills and budget then SEO and PPC may get better results. But these days it seems social marketing should be at least a part of the mix.

99% of social networks are free. I believe Linda made the reference to how much money you have for your advertising budget.

If you have a decent advertising budget, then you wouldn't really need to worry about social marketing -- or you could just outsource it.

~ Teli

"Money? But I thought social networking sites are just for free!?"

They are.

You asked how important social networking is and I said it depends. If you have no marketing budget then it's maybe more important because it's a free way to get traffic. But if you have marketing $$ to spend there are better faster ways to get traffic like PPC.

Hope that's more clear.

Oh yes right. I'm so sorry for this confusion. You see, I'm tasked to work on free advertising. I know that those that require payments are being taken cared of in another department of our company. But my idea is will this be worth my time? Will this gain additional visitors?

Sure, social marketing should definitely augment your conventional marketing practices quite sinmply because everybody is on at least one of the major sites. Craigslist is pretty much on a chronic downslope but squidoo has definitely picked up the reigns and allows you all the customization you really need.

*Side Note: Also, it would appear Google is also looking very favorably on FreeIQ.com in terms of ranking. It's a great market platform for JV launches, etc. and creats a buzz for your product or service within an already warm market.

Oh yes right, Stephen, I've been working on squidoo these past few months and you can just imagine how cool it is to work and have fun at the same time. Thanks for giving me FreeIQ. In exchange, I'd like you to try out Pingoat.com

Wow, just checked out FreeIQ -- thanks for the heads up on that. Can see I'll need to take some serious time and delve into that a bit further! ;)

Yep, I use Pingoat at least 20 times a day across my blogs. I wonder how much John Reese acquired that for? Great sticky site for him.

My problem with pingoat is that I don't know how to check my submissio after everything is said to be DONE. Anybody who can tell me how to do this?

Very important. It's a way of giving your business a global exposure, because everyone seems to be a member of at least one of these networking sites.

And joining them is free! What you will only need to invest on is time. :)

affearner asked:
"My problem with pingoat is that I don't know how to check my submission after everything is said to be DONE."

Well you know it shows you right on the page as it pings everyone - then it says done on the ones that went through which for me is usually all.

If you mean how do you check to be sure it really did it? Just go to Technorati and MyYahoo or one of the others sites it pings and check after a few minutes. Dont think you really need to though. It does what it is supposed to. Only thing would be if would miss one of the ping sites if it's down or times out I guess.

My routine, is I blog, then ping using Pingoat or Pingomatic. Then I use MyYahoo as my feedreader and put my blog on top of all my other feeds. That way each time I go to read my feeds I can easily check to be sure my blog was pinged and updated by Yahoo.

Hi Firefly Wings, welcome to 5 Star! :)

Hi firefly!

To Linda:

Well you know it shows you right on the page as it pings everyone - then it says done on the ones that went through which for me is usually all.

Same goes with me.

If you mean how do you check to be sure it really did it? Just go to Technorati and MyYahoo or one of the others sites it pings and check after a few minutes. Dont think you really need to though. It does what it is supposed to. Only thing would be if would miss one of the ping sites if it's down or times out I guess.

Yes, this is what I mean. I did the same thing - visited each site but I didn't see my blog. I ended up submitting my blog to each of the site manually :(

Oh I think I understand the problem. Wow been so long since I did this from scratch. But from what I remember you 1st have to register with most of the major blog aggregators so they have a record of your blog. BUT after you do that you just ping after each post and it automatically updates them all.

When I did the initial set up I used a service that submitted my feed to all the RSS Submission Sites. I can't find the name, was sure I had it bookmarked and also have talked about it here, but now cant find it. It was only $3 to submit to all the majors back then.

This may help:
rss submission - Google Search

I see. Sorry for my dumb question, it's understood that you're already signed up in each site :)

I already did that and will have to check Pingoat next. Thank you very much for the link.

MI
Back