The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Registrar Transfer via Nominet ?

cyberdyne

Banned
Hi all,
I've been having some problems with my current registrar and I'm pretty unhappy with their services, support and charges.

I'd like to move registrars but my current are asking £15 + VAT per domain to action the move.

I see Nominet only charge £10 INC VAT for this service but I also noticed the warning that this action will not cancel any current contract I may have with my current registrar. I'd rather pay Nominet £50 per domain than give my registrar another penny to be honest.

Does anyone know if there is any possibility of further fees from my registrar - in general - or if there are any other foreseeable problems using Nominet to do the transfer?

Note I haven't mentioned my registrar as I'm not here to rant about them - although I could !!

Thank you for any advice.

cd

Last edited by a moderator:
CD,
If you transfer you domain via Nominet you will only pay nominet fee and have control of your domain name, you will be free of any charges from your registrar but if you have a website, ensure you back it up before moving the domain so that you will not depend on your old registrar for anything.

CD,
If you transfer you domain via Nominet you will only pay nominet fee and have control of your domain name, you will be free of any charges from your registrar but if you have a website, ensure you back it up before moving the domain so that you will not depend on your old registrar for anything.

Thanks Temi,
My site is all backed up and ready to go when I purchase my new hosting on Monday.
I was just worried about my registrar being difficult as from reading other forums, they seem quite renowned for trying to get as much money out of people as possible when you decide to leave their services. They were apparently charging £49 per domain to transfer out not too long ago.

Since you'd definitely recommend the Nominet route, I'll go with them on Monday.

Any idea what sort of timescale we're looking at? From applying for the transfer to propagation I guess it's in the lap of the Gods?

Thank you.

Nominet is pretty fast this days, I think it should take less than 2 weeks. They will ask you for ID to prove you are the owner, ask for your new registrar's IPS tag, once payment is done, get the transfer done for you. Actually, if you have your Nominet site login details, it should take about 24-48 hours.

I suggest you visit the tag transfer page at Nominet

Thanks Temi,
My site is all backed up and ready to go when I purchase my new hosting on Monday.
I was just worried about my registrar being difficult as from reading other forums, they seem quite renowned for trying to get as much money out of people as possible when you decide to leave their services. They were apparently charging £49 per domain to transfer out not too long ago.

Since you'd definitely recommend the Nominet route, I'll go with them on Monday.

Any idea what sort of timescale we're looking at? From applying for the transfer to propagation I guess it's in the lap of the Gods?

Thank you.

...//.. Actually, if you have your Nominet site login details, it should take about 24-48 hours.

I suggest you visit the tag transfer page at Nominet

I do have them and yes, I was there looking at the process this morning :)
Thanks.

I see Nominet only charge £10 INC VAT for this service but I also noticed the warning that this action will not cancel any current contract I may have with my current registrar. I'd rather pay Nominet £50 per domain than give my registrar another penny to be honest.

cd

My error, it is in fact £10 PLUS VAT :)

Also, do I have to inform my current registrar of my intention to transfer out using Nominet prior to doing so, or at all ?
Thank you.

Yes,
That is correct, you are still bound to whatever contract you signed with your previous registrar.

My error, it is in fact £10 PLUS VAT :)

Also, do I have to inform my current registrar of my intention to transfer out using Nominet prior to doing so, or at all ?
Thank you.

Most of the time you sign contracts that you probably did not read. I remember having this problem with a company I leased a server from once, as far as I was aware, I thought the server was on a monthly basis and I can walk away anytime, apparently I have signed a 12 months contract and I cannot cancel for 12 months. I refused to pay them because the bloody server goes down almost ever few weeks.

The got their lawyer to contact me, I asked him to **** off.... in a nutshell, I refused to pay because I stopped using the server but got CCJ registered on my credit history.

So you may want to read the terms you agreed to with that company so that you will not make the same mistake.

ps: I am subscribed to this thread but have received no email notifications of new posts. It's not a problem, but just letting you know.

There is an option in your control panel, under 2options" that says "Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages" , you need to have that box ticked.

MI
Back