The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Quick Question about SEO

Big Mountain

affiliate
hey, i was wondering
if i own a domain called hmm, lets say..
greenapples.com

will it pop up in google's first page if some one were to search the word

"green apples"

like with a space in between?

thanks

Depends on lots of things. If "green apples" was a highly competitive phrase with lots of established sites with good link pop and PR they could come up higher. However if you have the EXACT phrase in your domain it's possible you'd make 1st page.

Good example, from my own personal experience.

My screen name at some forums is 5starAffiliates because 5starAffiliatePrograms won't fit some places. So lots of people call me 5starAffiliates which is a problem because I don't own 5starAffiliates.com. If someone goes to that site which is just sort of a domain placeholder with questionable ads I would NEVER touch, it could cause confusion or even make me look bad, if someone didn't realize that was NOT my site.

So I should probably just buy that guy out,
but for now I'll just use his site as an example.

The domain is 5starAffiliates.com but if you Google "5 Star Affiliates" in quotes or even 5staraffiliates all one word, I come up all over the place and forums, blogs I post at and articles people have written about me come up, but that site doesn't come up, not in the 1st 3 pages at least, because my site's too well established.

"5 Star Affiliates" - Google Search

And I'm just one little ole site. But if the key phrase in the domain was "best mortgage rates"
or something competitive there would be lots of others fighting for the top spots.

Like Linda has mentioned, it depends on the competitiveness of your keywords, in my experience it certainly helps. Of course optimizing your page title with these keywords makes the "secret" sauce i guess.

In my experiences i got good results with a exact match keyword domain, but i did optimize the Page title as well.

I am new around here, and do not want to sound like I am talking down...
But I want to make sure you have registered your site with the suggested Search Engines.
It seems obvious, but if that step is not taken, the rest is useless...

Hi Chris,

Welcome to 5 Star.

Actually it's best NOT to submit to the search engines - it's been that way for a couple years now. Google especially, seems to rank you higher if you don't submit and if she finds you on her own.

Best thing with Google is to get your link on a relevant site that is frequently spidered, plus you can even click the link yourself with the G toolbar on and she'll find it that way.

In fact I've had Google pick up sites 2 days after launch that no one knew about, that weren't linked anywhere. Only way she could have found them was from me hitting them with the toolbar on as I was checking the site, pre-launch. But you still need inbound links anyway so it's best to let her find you that way.

Welcome to the forum! :) No worries about thinking you're talking down, you have your views and you're free to express them ;)

With that said, the act of registering with search engines is useless in my opinion - in the sense that it's redundant work.
Your time is much better put to use in obtaining backlinks to your site, not registering your site with search engines.

With obtaining backlinks search engines will find your site nevertheless, so why even put your time in something that is bound to happen?

Actually it's best NOT to submit to the search engines
I didn't know that and still wondering why?

But anyways, I think the domain name helps a little bit for getting good rank in SERPs. But SEO can make it more accurate and it will come out in SERP if tried well. It is still possible.

MI
Back