The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Programmer New to Marketing, Best place to start?

Delyte

affiliate
I have a rough idea of where I want to start, but I'm still deciding. I recently finished my computer science education, so I have a pretty robust technical background, and learning new languages is easy for me.

So someone with my set of skills has access to what a lot of beginners don't, which is obviously technical expertise. So given that, are there any areas of marketing that you'd recommend starting out with for someone who can easily understand the technical side of things? I don't want to taint responses with my ideas of what I think might be successful, so I'm curious what people say simply based on a technical background.

Ideally I'd like something that can scale up well and quickly, ideally automated or low-maintenance (which also plays into scalability), but at the same time can work at the start with limited income.

Maybe the best place to start isn't any different? Curious to hear what people think.

As a programmer who has done this. I learned by doing work for an existing online marketer.

As your a technical person, I would recommend reading some books and experimenting.

If you're really great at programming I'd suggest you start to create projects which would get a lot of interest. If you'll get traffic you will always earn, after monetizing it. And monetize you can simply using Affiliates or PPC like Adsense.

Also you can create some online products to sell. There are a lot of IMers doing shitload of money of this.

Ideally I'd like something that can scale up well and quickly, ideally automated or low-maintenance (which also plays into scalability), but at the same time can work at the start with limited income.
Amazon affiliate - doorway-sites. You can scale up well and quickly, ideally automated or low-maintenance too.

yes like previously mentioned amazon affiliate with doorway works well. build a pbn and affiliate sites with argo content then you don't have much work building sites and you can scale it as much as you like and promote as many niches as you want.

Hi

I experienced a similar problem when I first started in online marketing, since I am also from a programming background, in fact my main job is web development and software development which I have done for many many years. So you can imagine how logical thinking my mind is, and from my experience so far for the past 2 years is that online marketing isn't logical!

So in that sense I had to change my mindset and learn, and get stressed out a lot! But I have now been running my news site for almost 2 years, I have grown a nice big following on Facebook and other networks growing, as well as loads of traffic from Google.

So from my personal experience getting into online marketing, no matter what product or service or ads you are using, you need to shift your mind a little to think less logically like a program and think more like a person. Remember, it's people you'll be marketing to, not a machine.

You also need to keep in mind that it's a very slow process, it's taken me almost 2 years to gain 120,000 followers on Facebook. Granted, it's growing very rapidly now, each and every day gaining 100s of likes, but that has come from a lot of stress, hard work and learning ...learning a lot, the hard way lol.

So my best advice to get going is try not to over do it, don't try to push things too fast or it will cause you stress and ultimately push to to giving up. I almost gave up a few times, but pushing on, taking note of what works and what doesn't and just keep at it, you will get there!

Hope that helps a little, and just so you know my website now has an affiliate program, if you're interested in discussing things just inbox me, or you can reply here and i will answer asap.

Glen

banners
Back