The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Niches, Confidence and Crocodiles!

jcorkern

<b>Senior Member - SEO Pro<br />Global Moderator</
Administrator
The no 1 question that I get from affiliate marketers that are new and old school is “How do you pick the right niche”?

I have never broken it down in full before, so we are going to tell the whole story by telling a real life story, one that is filled with awe and amazement on an International scale.

Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter as he is so fondly remembered by most, lived a life that could be compared to a top rated affiliate marketers, So, what did Steve Irwin teach us about affiliate marketing?

Picking the niche

I have stated many times that you cannot pick the right niche, it picks you. Yes, if you ever want the taste of true success of being top rated and highly respected, then you had better do something you love when you are starting out.

Some may state that there is no market for what you love. If you are passionate about what you do, then you will want to shout it from the rooftops. This is the passion you must have if you ever plan on being a success in affiliate marketing.

Irwin was not a college graduate, but he really was a wildlife expert. Both of his parents were deep into wildlife, zoo’s and other wild animal based ventures and he grew up playing with Croc’s.

Considering that most “experts” with degrees only make $40K - $100K per year, and that is usually based on years of experience to get to the higher end of that pay scale. Not really a king’s ransom and not my idea of success.

This just never occurred to Steve, because he took the crocodile by the tail and expanded. Within a short time of his assumption of his parent’s zoo, he changed the name of it and started to follow his passion.

So, what was his passion?

He loved animals and wildlife so much that he wanted to share a portion of his life to the rest of the world, and brought crocodiles into the living room of millions of viewers in over 130 countries.

It did not matter that the pay was so low, it was that he loved what he done to the point that his excitement and passion spilled worldwide.

Even if you do not think there is a market, there is, you may have to create it, but it is there for the taking, you just need “Confidence”.

"Originality implies being bold enough to go beyond accepted norms."
-Anthony Storr

Confidence brings boldness to go beyond accepted norms. Get it? You need confidence, not in the niche, but in yourself as the “expert” online marketer.

You have to love your niche to have the drive to do extensive research and then back it up with facts, and you have to be oozing confidence in your content to gain the trust of your readership.

Without this trust, there are no sales. You must have the passion to go the extra mile and provide your visitor with the best experience they can get on your website.

Confidence that you know what you are talking about let’s you become bold, which brings originality to your site. Be the expert, but do it more boldly than the “other” and “average” experts.

You have to entertain, captivate, teach and lead all at the same time, just like Steve did for his entire life. You have to be bold when facing crocodiles.

Steve faced his first croc at the age of 9 (under the supervision of his Dad). It was his first wrestling match with one also. After you win a bout with a crocodile, what else can you do for an ovation at age 9?

Once he was educated by his father and mother working in their zoo, he finished high school and went right back to the family zoo and took the reins of it in 1991.

How does croc’s have to do with affiliate marketing? Croc’s are vicious creatures that have no conscience when it comes to killing just about anything in their paths, and we have these in everyday life, just as Steve faced.

Steve faced insurmountable odds when he made the first episode of “The Crocodile Hunter”. He actually filmed it on his honeymoon with his new bride.

The show became a success even though the only decent wildlife show to date was Wild Kingdom, which was commercially sponsored, had not so exciting host and a very limited amount of shows per year.

He faced a lot more than the lizard type of Croc’s in his life, but his passion, confidence and croc’s were all that he needed to become a success beyond what any other wildlife expert ever dreamed of attaining.

As you grow your niche, you will have many croc’s at the door looking for a leg, an arm and anything else it can latch onto, but you have to know your croc’s, you have to be prepared to confront them, stand on your authority as the expert in your niche and you will be rewarded with many loyal followers.

You do not need to be a doctor to help someone with home remedies. You do not have to be an expert skateboarder to give and share information or give an expert analysis on the sport at a professional level.

Affiliate marketing is not really about money, it's about personal growth, sharing what you love with others and bringing your visitors a higher quality of life simply by being yourself.

I think everyone knows who they are deep down inside. When you accept who you are and live in it, then you will become a master affiliate by default, but not just online, in every aspect of your life.

For someone who is new to the affiliate program, what would you as a veteran say to someone who thinks affiliate marketing programs are a scam? I find most people are skeptical for this reason

This is more to jgalnik than to jcockern.

Being an affiliate means you are sending referrals to a sales page which is no different from selling a product yourself. If you could say the usage of the sales page and the product being sold is a scam then you could say it is a scam but you could not say that affiliate marketing is a scam.

Having been an affiliate marketer I got results where there was no trace of any type of scam involved. I had been found for ranking for really strong selling keywords for the niche and that's how I got involved.

If you can say a product is a scam then it is a completely different story to whether or not affiliate marketing is a scam.

Good enough products exist out there where affiliate marketing is killer you just need to choose the right source because the only thing it comes down to is whether or not it is the real deal.

Affiliate marketing is not a scam but it is both hard to do and also can be hard to find what you might want to be looking for.

You can test out this theory by saying "if I created a product to sell and paid someone else when they refer the sale would I be a scam artist for doing this?" The answer is clearly no.

See?

I dismiss them in most cases... and so should you, life is too short to deal with this minor issue.

Another way I handle them is to ask them how they are doing financially. This usually stops them in their tracks.

[video=youtube;vvR6wEKMbx4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvR6wEKMbx4[/video]

MI
Back