The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Newbie question

Harachel

affiliate
Hi, like the title say I'm a newbie I'm just starting from a scratch. So I wanna know what things I need to do so I can start with the right foot. Because I have been reading on this forum and many articles what other people said. But my question it's where should I start, I have read about some affiliate programs, like Google, Amazon, Commission Junction, web hosting thing etc. So where should I start, I want to know about people experience so I know which way I have to take.

I will appreciate all help you guys can bring me. Thanks :)

Hi, Harachel, welcome! My advice is, before you worry about which affiliate programs to join, learn about how to find a good niche and research keywords. Having that decision made will guide your choice of a domain name and the type of site you will create.

If you're interested in doing this as inexpensively as possible, consider using WordPress. Then all you need is hosting, which can easily be found for well under $10 a month (and the domain, which is $10 a year).

Feel free to ask more questions!

Laura is right, the 1st step is finding the right niche. A topic you know about and are hopefully passionate about that other people are interested in too, but that isn't too competitive. You also need to be sure it's a subject that can be monetized.

Picking the right niche is like the foundation of your business, so is very important.

Start with these 2 threads.
http://affiliate-marketing-forums.5...e-marketing/5558-how-pick-your-1st-niche.html
http://affiliate-marketing-forums.5...ting/14441-how-do-niche-keyword-research.html

I've been with Servint.net for several years. Wonderful up time and great (quick) service.

Oh, welcome to the forum!!!

One other point about picking a host... most hosts have some fans and almost every host has complaints. There is no PERFECT host for everyone.

Some hosts go through stages where they are great for awhile, then they start to oversell and their service and uptime becomes terrible.

So I strongly recommend, once you find a couple hosts you think you may want to go with, then go the WebHostingTalk.com - the largest web hosting forum and search for "host name reviews" or just "host name" just to be sure they aren't a really problematic host. Again every host will have complaints over there but you want to be sure they don't have TOO many.

One other thing: Be sure in your research to distinguish between shared hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated hosting. They are quite different.

Good point David. You'll see the big difference in price between the 3 and shared hosting is lowest in price and all you need for your 1st couple sites. Try to find a plan that allows multiple domains so if down the road you need to add other sites you can.

That too, but what I meant is that most of the complaints you'll see are about shared hosting, because (1) you are at the mercy of everyone else on that phsyical drive, and (2) many hosting services tend to assume that the average webmaster on shared hosting will be a low resource-low bandwidth customer so they grossly oversell their capacity.

I have been searching some keywords and looking for the best niche. My passions are computers (hardware software), electronic devices and that kind of stuff. So my question now it's, should I start with a blog or a complete site. Taking in consideration the economic way. I'm unemployment at the moment. What should I do so I can start making some cash.

Electronics are very competitive. Have you worked on narrowing it down to a sub-niche? Also electronics are a product category, not necessarily a niche. You can start with a product based site or a gadget blog, but sometimes it's a little harder due to the competition.

You can start with a site or a blog. Which is best could depend somewhat on the niche and/or style you are going for. But many affiliates these days just have a Wordpress blog and that's a very good way to start. Wordpress is free and easy to work with. You just have to pay for a domain and hosting.

Since you mentioned you are unemployed and it sounds like you need to make some fast cash, I just wanted to mention that in spite of some ebooks and courses that claim you can make money fast online - that's not usually the case, they are just trying to get you to buy their product.

Affiliate marketing, like any other business takes time to learn and get ramped up, and time before any significant revenue starts to come in. Not trying to be negative at all, just trying to paint a realistic picture so you don't get yourself into a financial bind.

Well, I know electronics it's competitive, but since I have a bachelor degree on Computer Science (most of the time I use to work fixing computers and creating some small programs or databases) electronics and technology are my strong right now. Making web site or blog it's not the problem. But like I say I'm new to marketing area that's why I'm here so I can learn more. Thanks for all the answers I really appreciate it I'm going to make more research and see what others niche suit me. So I can start with the right foot.

I doubt that we can offer you a mentor here, Harachel, but if you read through the threads and ask specific questions I'm sure you'll pick up what you need to know.

MI
Back