The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Multiple posts at same forum=multiple backlinks?

jengojengo

affiliate
If I post several times at the same forum with a link in my siggy, will it mean multiple backlinks to my site, or is it like, only counted once per site. (in terms of search engine marketing, I mean)

it depends....

The short answer is Yes, every post is a new backlink. however a lot of forums implement a robot.txt which excludes post, while others implement a rel="nofollow" tag in the href tag. Google will not index either of these attributes. Yahoo, doesn't care about a nofollow link (as far as I know)

so if the forum does not have these then it is a new link!

view the source code.

there is no rel="nofollow" tag in there. it would be by the target'_blank" tag

I am not sure if the robots read the post maybe Linda can chime in?

You get credit for 1 link per page, so if the url string changes, it counts as another link if there are no nofollow tags or txt blocks.

And Yahoo implimented the nofollw tag last october. it was announced on yahoo ysearchblog.

Thanks guys, I wasn't 100% sure. Was hoping Jim,
our resident SEO expert would see this and weigh in too. Thanks Jim!

My FEELING about forums and I have TONS of backlinks in TONS of forums is this...
and it's only a feeling, nothing proven or scientific.

I think forum links add up cumulatively but count in a
watered down fashion when you have a bunch at one forum.

So for example if you had 100 links at 100 different sites, forums, blogs etc.
- it would count a lot more than 100 links from the same forum.
(Assumption in both cases being that they were all well targeted and do follow links.)

If every forum link I had carried full weight,
5 Star would be much higher than it is. :p

If I post several times at the same forum with a link in my siggy, will it mean multiple backlinks to my site, or is it like, only counted once per site. (in terms of search engine marketing, I mean)

Could be possible and at the same time might not be.What really matters is the page where your siggy link is placed.If the page is cached by Google and has a PR of it's own only then will you benefit by getting that extra backlink and PR.

Very good point, lovekissing.

Many forums, including 5 Star Affiliate Marketing Forums, do not tolerate signature spamming.

Of course...

Just curious b/c I post regualrly on several forums ( I have no links in my siggy on this one) and wondering if it all was helping or not.

I never spam for links.

It's just not kosher in my book, considering I know how much work goes into building a site/blog and how suuuuper annoying :mad: spamming is, and how it truly is degrading to the site builder's efforts!

By signature spamming I was talking about people who have a signature and then make a lot of foolish posts for no real purpose other than for people to see their post with their signature. Such as making numerous posts saying such things as:

Nice post.

I agree.

Thanks.

Thank you.

Those are just to give you an idea. Actually none of those would work here because they are under the minimum length required for a post.

There are those who make post better than those examples, but it usually becomes obvious what they are doing.

banners
Back