The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Make Money out of Thin Air!

Linda Buquet

affiliate
Just thought I'd share some fairly well written spam I just got and the reply I sent her. Don't normally reply to spam but somehow this one made me want to. Bolded are a couple areas I have problems with.

Hi Linda,

I was recently reviewing Forex sites in some of the major search engines and I came across your web site:5 Star Affiliate Programs.com Out of all the sites I came across yours really stood out for me and if you could please spare me just two minutes, I have a business proposition for you, as you are in the same market as I am.

After reviewing your site I found that we are both targeting the exact same market, though we are not in competition with each other.

I have been studying this target for quite some time and would like to present you with the opportunity to increase your income for five minutes work. You will be provided with the marketing materials, all you need do is send out an email to your ezine list or add a graphic to your web site, and you can make money. You can do this by signing up to the affiliate program found here: tinyurl DOT com/junkylookinglink

By promoting this product you can earn a commission without ever having to handle customer service or ship any products. It’s a fantastic way to make money pretty much out of thin air!

By working together, we have the potential to create an additional revenue source for both of us – without investing any money or even any time. Because we share the same target market, your customers are guaranteed to be interested in the product. An affiliate arrangement is a surefire way to make that interest work to our mutual benefit. to sign up to this affiliate program visit: tinyurl DOT com/junkylookinglink

I offer this partnership very selectively, so please do act fast if you wish to go ahead with this. Also please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Finally, Linda I know you’re a busy person and I’d like to thank you for reading this email whether you choose to promote and make some extra cash or not. Keep up the good work.

By the way, you’ll be paid on the 10th of each month tinyurl DOT com/junkylookinglink

Sincerely,

Shelly W

P.S. I hope you don’t mind me emailing you, but your Forex web site really stood out from the others I came across during my research.

My reply to Shelly:

Shelly, please review your email practices before you get in trouble.

I don’t have a Forex site (so she obviously lied about reviewing my site)

I am not an affiliate

I am an industry guru that preaches ethical marketing practices.

I sincerely doubt will make money with this OUT OF THIN AIR with 5 minutes work!

Your email is well written but is STILL spam and does not comply with the Spam can act at all.
You should read it before you get in trouble.
(she included no contact info or removal instructions.)

Not sure why I bothered to reply to this affiliate's spam, but since I did, just thought I'd share it here. :rolleyes:

I love those kind of emails... they are great entertainment.
I wonder if you can go into your bank and make a deposit out of thin air too. Just tell the teller that it's up there somewhere!

I doubt you will receive another reply to your response but be sure to let us know if you do.

You know I competely forgot to mention I'm a representitive of the Bank fo Nigeria and I need to transfer some money can anyone help me with that? Naturally you'll receive your 10% transfer fee.

lol

Rick

You're an official representative? Wow, I was afraid you were just
one of those pesky affiliates Bank of Nigeria uses.

I heard they have a good affiliate program and pay 10% of that 10% transfer fee.
Pretty nice payout! :p

The sad thing about this, and others like it, is that people who send out this type of stuff either honestly believe it is something that will bring them financial success or they are completely unethical and don't care what they do to make money. In some cases it might even be a combination of the two.

Another sad thing is there are people who see this type of junk and fall for it. Some believe they actually are going to be swimming in money. With some people it might be more hope that it will work than actual belief. However they still make the foolish mistake of getting involved.

It is stuff like this that gives some people false hopes and help fuel the impression that it is easy to make money online. As a result many of them are quick to give up when they experience the disappointment of seeing things aren't that easy.

These people never get to witness for themselves how life could be if they would do things the right way instead of trying to use unethical and sometimes illegal methods.

Larry you make some great points.

Chet said: "I doubt you will receive another reply to your response but be sure to let us know if you do."

I hated to admit it, but I just had a feeling this was not a blatant spammer but maybe a newbie who was told by an unscrupulous merchant to just "use this email template and send it to as many people as you can." I felt silly sharing that I'd emailed her because why bother right? So many spammers, so little time. But I just felt like maybe she was totally green, had been lead astray and didn't understand that what she was doing was wrong.

Well guess I was right. Kinda surprised, but she just emailed me back.

Hi Linda,

Thanks, but how is my email spam and what measures should I take
to change it.

Your advise regarding this matter is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Shelly

So I'll give her some advice and maybe with luck she'll take it
and change her ways. :eek:

Sad indeed on both counts

I'm guessing 25% of the newbie's in the Paydotcom forum are brought in a at least one data entry/post your ads and get paid site who send their victims to the Paydotcom site and they haven't got a clue what to do.

Is there a place on 5 star to list potential scams?

Rick

"Is there a place on 5 star to list potential scams?"

Nope and I don't think there ever will be. On one hand I would
love to OUT the bad guys but on the other hand I don't want to give those
guys ANY exposure on 5 Star. You know what they say: "any PR is good PR."

I only want to allow positive solutions and resources. There are lots of forums and sites that focus on exposing scams. People can go there if they want to learn about them.

Here is my reply to her. NO WAY I would take time out to write this email
except I thought the advice could be helpful to a newbie here.

Hi Shelly, Happy Holidays and glad you replied. It seems as if you are someone who was told to just send a bunch of emails and you can get rich quick - without being informed of the law or knowing what you did wrong.

Here is the law: The CAN-SPAM Act: Requirements for Commercial Emailers

4 ways your email violated it.

1) Unsolicited – I didn’t request this info
2) Misleading title – needs to let people know it’s an ad.
Can’t be misleading which it is.
3) Must include your real physical mailing address
4) Must include a method for opting out

I’m not sharing this to teach you how to be a better spammer, but to let you
know that wherever you are getting your info, you are being led astray.
This is not the way to make money online. It’s illegal and unethical.

In a bigger picture view, every spam email makes it harder for honest marketers who are trying to communicate with their actual customers or REAL opt-in list to get any email through.

There are legit ways to make money online. If you’d like to learn how, you can
visit my forum below. Read all the newbie tips and ask questions. We’re happy to help people learn to market ethically and profitably.

I must admit that was the best written piece of spam I have ever read. Mine are normally full of bad grammar and poor english and of those that were passable still fell far short of that one. Good reply Linda.

These people never get to witness for themselves how life could be if they would do things the right way instead of trying to use unethical and sometimes illegal methods.

It really makes me sad. This is the main reason why I do what I do. I'm on a crusade to save someone, anyone. It gives the whole industry a huge blemish that shouldn't, in all fairness, even be there.

Uh, I'm actually speechless! Write this day down people.

And on that note, I'm going to have a nap.

Sheree

Hi, I haven't posted for awhile so Happy New Year All!

The topic interested me. While a large majority of unsolicited emails are annoying, and perhaps illegal, sometimes they are good offers. For instance, I have had some large companies contact me through my contact form asking me if I would like to participate in a program that is related to my website. In some cases, these offers are legitimate and attractive opportunities I may not have found on my own. Or I have had individuals email me and ask for a link, or if they could guest-author in one of my blogs. I think this is ok.

So where is the line?

Let's keep in mind spam is unsolicited off topic email. I think a company is perfectly justified aggressively seeking propspects such as in your case inwhich there is a common business basis. It's the same thing as knocking on the door of a potential business client and requesting an appointment

Rick

I agree. It looks like a clearly written request for business that is on topic is fine. Though, of course, the language of the Can-Span page from the FTC is quite indimidating. I am sure that the spirit of the law is to stop bulk emails, and that is probably how it would be interpreted.

MI
Back