The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Location/Category/Topic URL Format?

BenjArriola

affiliate
Which Location/Category/Topic URL Format do you prefer for SEO purposes and explain why you chose this format.

location.domain.com/category/topic/

or

domain.com/location/category-topic/

If you have a different suggestion, explain why.

If have any debatable usability concerns with it, please share it too.

Bear in mind that we want the "location keyword" and "keyword location" to rank well in the search engines. Considering this is a multiple location/branch business that wishes to rank in various local related search queries.

In the above, the first is a completly different Sub domain, while the second is a sub folder of the same domain.

The main benefit of sub domains is that they can be promoted independently, so you can get backlinks for them.

In the above, the first is a completly different Sub domain, while the second is a sub folder of the same domain.

The main benefit of sub domains is that they can be promoted independently, so you can get backlinks for them.

Very true.

And my own hesitations in not doing a subdomain is if the subdomain cannot really get that popular, and does not have much link juice to pass... sometimes I like the folder instead as the folder gets part of the power of the domain itself.

And since I am also aware of the power of the subdomain link like an external link, I am not really sure which one to use. I have seen Craigslist use subdomains well and I have seen FindLaw use folders well.

If the categories are rela, then folders can be better, if not then sudomains can work better. It really is a horses for courses thing.

If the categories are rela, then folders can be better, if not then sudomains can work better. It really is a horses for courses thing.

As you said above ^^ if the categories are real, what do you mean by saying real and what to do when we are doing the same for Dynamic site.

Site with some programming and generating the data dynamically through database can be done through Sub domain or with Folder for better optimization.:helpsign:

I think using later format will be a bit easier to manage. As far as SEO is concerned, i don't any of these format has any inherent advantage over the other format.

As you said above ^^ if the categories are real, what do you mean by saying real and what to do when we are doing the same for Dynamic site.

Site with some programming and generating the data dynamically through database can be done through Sub domain or with Folder for better optimization.:helpsign:

Sorry my keyboard had a brain fart, I meant 'related' . If the content is related, then folders are great for semantic theming of the entire site. If they are unrelated though sub domains can be better as they theme individually and appear more niche to the Search algos, making it easier for SEO.

"Joes drain cleaning and breast enhancement clinic" on a shop window, doesn't really inspire confidence in either :D

Sorry my keyboard had a brain fart, I meant 'related' . If the content is related, then folders are great for semantic theming of the entire site. If they are unrelated though sub domains can be better as they theme individually and appear more niche to the Search algos, making it easier for SEO.

"Joes drain cleaning and breast enhancement clinic" on a shop window, doesn't really inspire confidence in either :D

Thanks OWG for your support and giving the right solution towards the question.

LOL your example sense is very creative and give the right insight of the full story.

Thanks for the support and help.

banners
Back