The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

If You HAD to Start Over - What would you do Different???

I would have spent less time on reading every how to book and actually putting it to action sooner. But it all worked out so I cant complain.

There are a lot of things I would like to do if I can start this business all over again and the first of it is to know this business earlier. I always imagine how I am today if I started my business when I was 20 years old.

Then I wish I would stop procrastinating and focus 120% in affiliate marketing. It was difficult to motivate myself while fighting to believe that I made the right decision to join this business. I think that fear of failure really delay a lot of my work.

If I can turn back time again, I wish I could pay more attention during my course. I thought I could refer to the handouts whenever I have any question about the business. But what I got from the handout was so basic, it was nothing compare to the explanation in the course.

Lastly, I hope that I will do my research before I do anything in the business. You can't imagine how much I spent when I started affiliate marketing. I can get a lot of good tools if I invest that money properly. Until today I still tell myself that I what I get from my lack of research is priceless experience and that is something money can't buy. :eek:

There's a famous quote from Burt Munro,

"If you don't go when you wanna go, when you do go you'll find you're gone!"

I sincerely believe and practice that. It has helped me a lot. I hope it'll help others too. :)

I probably would have taken as many classes related to SEO as possible. I would have focused on a niche market, and then ran with that!

I think I would have also paid attention in the classes that I took a bit more too!

However, I wouldn't really do that much different because I am the person I am today, because of the decision I have made. Everything I do is a learning process, so maybe I would not have learned as much if I would not have made the decision I did.

I tend to try and not look back, although it can be inevitable.

If I were to start all over again....

As an affiliate manager, I made a plethora of mistakes when my company first ventured into the affiliate marketing world.

Our company had been very successful with other direct advertising so we had every confidence in the world that our affiliate program would be successful from day 1!

Of course, people on the web are a lot more skeptical and most times need a lot of convincing to try something new!

The first thing that I would change is the order in which we did things. Before a single sale had converted online, before our affiliate landing page was even completed we were firing off emails to business websites, blog sites, and even some government sites like chambers of commerce!

Needless to say, email marketing when the landing pages for affiliate recruiting are not done is a bad idea!

We also never built our backlink foundation for our website, or even tried any type of "establishing" ourselves in any way.

The worst was forum posting. Once we discovered how powerful posting on forums could be we did it in a bad way. Create an account, go to the affiliate section, and post "Hi try our new program heres the link bye" and that was it.

We didn't realize that you have to become part of the community, provide good information and become a resource BEFORE you start spamming your links and recruiting :)

Same thing with article submission sites: Driving traffic through article submission sites is a great form of traffic! By creating a network and again: being ACTIVE in the community is what makes these types of things effective.

(As of right now we have received about 1,025 hits from Stumbleupon for the day and it's only 10:30am!)

The most important thing that I would do again if I could would be to test the sales conversion and make sure our sales page converted for our affiliates before we started.

We had some really great affiliates join our program, load up our banners, sent loads of traffic but no conversions.

We had to test and test before we finally found the perfect page that is now converting very well.

We lost a lot of good affiliates from not testing and not converting an online sale before recruiting.

Overall, after the trials and tribulations of "newbie" mistakes, we have developed a great consistent flow of new affiliates joining our ranks, conversion that keeps the affiliates happy, and still a lot more to learn and improve upon as we go!

The number one source of information is always Five Star... If you take the time to actually research get everything in place BEFORE turning the "ON" button on... You will be much better off and you will not have to worry about backtracking or having to start over!

I wish you the best of luck!

I would have done a lot more at school instead of sitting at the back of the class and laughing with my friends. Also I woulda studied once I finished school now I'm just starting to study next year and I'm 25! :(

AWESOME INFO...

Its amazing how much you learn when you search. I didn't realize something that small could have such and impact on the search engines. Thankyou for the great tip...

I will do that the next time I buy a domain as well...

:)

I would have never paid an entrepreneur coach thousands of dollars to do something that I could have found out for free on my own.

I would instead have looked for a niche by going to google keyword tool and checking how many searches it was getting and how much per click it s was getting. If a site has 5, 6 and 7 digit searches, I know that this niche of keywords would be ripe for adsense.

Then I'd hire a web designer to make my site for less than $300, have him attach it to a webhost with unlimited bandwidth.

Hmmm what i would do different is the best way to understand what you did until now.... as far as i am concerned... what i would do different is think different, think that i can d it.. and also write down everything i did, i want to do and ensure that i don't repeat the same mistake that i did before.... i feel it is always good to do the mistakes as you learn from them, but it is sin to repeat the same mistake that you have already committed.. so i would change that.

I'm rather new to the game, but already I have some good start over advice. Number one, I'd do much more research, especially in all of the great forums on the internet. Number two, I'd be far more assertive in making moves, especially the whole starting process. It seems like once I gathered all the info I needed, it took me a while to test the waters and get my feet wet. Though caution is never a bad thing when it comes to money, nonetheless I feel like I wasted some valuable time.

If I could start over. I will only focus my attention into one blog only rather than maintaining four blogs. It is quite tiring maintaining more than one blog. It takes a lot of my time to promote each blog.

What I Would Have Done Differently

Oh gracious, what wouldn't I have done is the question. LOL

I made every affiliate marketing mistake there is to make. I thought that I could just create a website, and everybody would visit and buy, and I would be rich. Not!

I also tried to do things the easy way. I work full time, and I had no money to spend on marketing, and very little time. I tried marketing the Black Hat way. I tried traffic exchanges, and automated software, you name it, I did it.

I was booted by Adsense, and that was my first wake up call.

Totally lazy, and I have been personally smacked down by Google so many times that I think they have grown used to burying my websites.

Fortunately, I have learned my lessons, and have started to market my campaigns much more effectively and the right way.

I learned that doing things the right way the first time will yield much better results.

Carmen

Begin with life changes

Being new to all this, including affiliate marketing, I would have to change my mindset from years ago. I too would have found all the affiliate courses I could and made my mark a long time ago. Life changes are the most important, in my opinion. Self doubt, skeptcism, frustration are all business killers. Another very important change I would have made was to seek out forums like this and folks like all of you to help me with all the dark moments and set backs. I really appreciate all of you.
Have a great day!!:)

Thanks Jan,
I really mean it when I say I appreciate all of you. It's very refreshing to find friendly people to carry on a conversation with. I hope we can all exchange information and everyone can succeed.
Have a great day!!! :)

banners
Back