The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

How much space do you really need?

tl_c

affiliate
I'm going to use GoDaddy's Wordpress hosting plan (unless anyone has objections). What I'm trying to figure out is how much space I need. GoDaddy offers three plans: Economy (10GB), Deluxe (150GB), and the unlimited plan. I plan to launch a blog highlighting products in my chosen niche. I'm just writing articles, posting pictures--the basics for now.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I'm going to use GoDaddy's Wordpress hosting plan (unless anyone has objections). What I'm trying to figure out is how much space I need. GoDaddy offers three plans: Economy (10GB), Deluxe (150GB), and the unlimited plan. I plan to launch a blog highlighting products in my chosen niche. I'm just writing articles, posting pictures--the basics for now.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Don't just think in terms of "for now"...

What if your blog takes off? What if you decide to expand? Get hosting that will meet your needs longer term than "for now."

You might want to check out some of the revies of GoDaddy hosting on various sites first.

GoDaddy is great as a domain registrar... not so great for hosting. Their history includes problems with Google indexing among others, although to be fair that was a few years ago.

Also, as a general rule, I don't think it's a good idea to use the same company for both domain registration and hosting. It just creates additional potential problems when you want to move.

Joseph, thanks for your input. You're absolutely right. I need not limit my potential before I even get started! Think BIG!!

minstrel, I appreciate the advice, and I will definitely check out hosting alternatives.

That's very true... Godaddy can just be consider for domain registration only but surely not for webhosting , there are horror stories about their hosting services.
you will get better offers at few webhosting forums like DP, WHT, FWS etc...

you will get better offers at few webhosting forums like DP, WHT, FWS etc...

I would not look for the best offers I would look for the best support and uptime.
You can't even imagine how painful it is to have your site go down and be losing
money and visitors until it happens to you.

Do as minstel suggested and check any host you are considering at WebHostingTalk
to be sure they have a good reputation and uptime.

I think 10 GB is more than enough. To run a wordpress blog with text posts you will need no more than a few MB's. Only the images may require some space. However, if you will use images of reasonable size (and you should do that to avoid long loading times), every image will have less than 100 kb. It means, you can host 10,000 images and you will still use only 10% of the web space (1 GB).

More important than the webspace is the quality of the service. Good web host should have good uptime and reliable support. You should google for something like "company-name reviews", "company-name problem" and similar keywords before you choose the web host.

That's very true Linda :) I agree with your comment... usually innocents are preyed with attractive offers and deals so you need to crosscheck if there are any hidden charges or any surprises ;)

I am quite happy with hostgator. You could easily get the baby or hatchling plan and it's very easy to upgrade if your site is getting big.

Also, HG has something called fantastico that makes it really easy to set up a wordpress blog. You can have one up and running in literally minutes.

Well, there's noting special about fantastico !
Fantastico is an addon which comes FREE with cpanel control panel. All webhost should provide Fantastico with their linux hosting packages so that all users can isntall various utilities like CMS, Discussion Boards, eCommerce applications, Image Galleries, Polls and Surveys, Wiki and many more....

banners
Back