The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

How important is the domain age?

M

midlandi

I've heard that Google considers the domain age as an important SEO factor, as that works filtering some spammy domains. How important do you think this is?

This is now quite a standard part of Googles algo, exept for new site from trusted sources, they do consider the age of a site as part of how well it will rank

Yep, but it is not the age of the domain as much as the length of time it has been in the same ownership and/or there has been content on the domain. If a domain is 10 years old with no history, then it will likely betreated as a new domain.

How long might a domain thats completely new, never used be treated as new? I mean for how long would it effect the ranking?

Anywhere from not at all. to 18 months is the longest I have seen it take for a site to pop up after being held back.

Even if domain name is new, Google looks also on expired period of registration of that domain. So for new domains it is better to register them for 3-5 years. New domain with one year expired period cannot consider as a serious one.

Google alogo is a complex one. domain age has some significant when it carries some weight. As said 10 years domain with no conent should not be get higher score than 2 year domain with contents

Yep, but it is not the age of the domain as much as the length of time it has been in the same ownership and/or there has been content on the domain. If a domain is 10 years old with no history, then it will likely betreated as a new domain.

Good point.

What do you mean "no history"? The absence a really site with that domain?

To Google, the domain age is important as has been said above. However the most important factor is how long content has been on the site.

To find this out go to Archive.org and search for the domain name. If it has been hosted then you should be able to see what it looked like over the years.

As long as the domain has never had spammy content on it, or it's linked in to or out of spammy neighbourhoods, then you may have trouble competing against it.

Expired domain names with age and backlinks are hard to find but I do know a really good source ;-)

Interesting site that although I had a good laugh at the Alexa data that it quoted for one of my sites:

"rank 2.3 million - this site has little or no traffic"

Really ? It did 32,000 pages yesterday equivalent to just under one million per month. Just shows how skewed the data is that Alexa gathers towards webmasters. Who else would use the Alexa toolbar ?

Interesting, that site is worth $19,000 :) but it's not for sale . . .

Interesting site that although I had a good laugh at the Alexa data that it quoted for one of my sites:

"rank 2.3 million - this site has little or no traffic"

Really ? It did 32,000 pages yesterday equivalent to just under one million per month. Just shows how skewed the data is that Alexa gathers towards webmasters. Who else would use the Alexa toolbar ?

Interesting, that site is worth $19,000 :) but it's not for sale . . .

You just gotta love Alexa data LOL.

My rugby forum was languishing with regard Alexa data, yet during the six nations we got well over 1.5 and moving towatds 2million page impressions. I am moving it across to another server for the rugby world cup. Alexa data though said my site had no traffic.

Suddenly 2 or 3 people sign up who are using the alexa spyware .. ooops sorry Alexa toolbar, and suddenly my site is now in the top 100,000 anywhere beteeewn 49-90k Sadly though people are making money off this metric :(

We need to SPREAD THE WORD BROTHERS,

can I get an AMEN ;)

Agreed Alexa is a joke when it comes to site ranking ... but it does produce some pretty graphs.

I terms of domain age, I'm personally not convinced (as I've seen little evidence) that it greatly effects SERP's ... seems to me to be a lowish weighted variable in comparison to all the others that the Google algo is fed with.

Beside the domain age the hosting level of your site plays important role in Google. For example if you have an unique IP.

The age of a domain in my case means I am referring to the amount of time there have been pages included in the google index. NOT when the domain was registered.

Question: If was another site before I bought the domain. Now I use this domain with my site. What is the age of domain in this case? How does Google look at it?

Your site is counted as a site from when contents is added to it regardless of how long ago you registered the domain name.

MI
Back