The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Failure to track

Bobcat

affiliate
Hi Folks, I am new to this forum but have had a long affiliate relationship with a famous merchant. This merchant has thousands of affiliates.

I would like input on a 'hypothetical' :cool:situation.

An affiliate, whilst researching improvements to their site, discovers that the merchant is failing to track a large proportion of reffered sales through this affiliate. Further investigation show that potentially thousands of other affiliates are affected. The affiliate tests his observations with test sales and finds the situation is indeed confirmed. Under certain, common condition, sales that should be tracked are not. The affiliate informs the merchant. The merchant eventually agrees tracking is not fully working for the affiliates site but that this is due to incorrect coding by the affiliate. The explanation is patently incorrect and the affiliate points out that not only is tracking broken on the affiliate site but also on many other sites. Even the links produced by the merchant on behalf of affiliates in many situations will not be tracked.

At this point, which is nearly two months into dialogue, the merchant accepts the problem does exist exactly as the affiliate has described. At Last. It seems to have been a problem that has gone on for many months.

Six weeks later the affiliate site is still not tracked correctly, nor, it appears, are hundreds of others. This is easiliy demonstrated by just about anyone who cares to look but no-one seems to have done that, so no-one knows yet.

Where do all the affected affiliates stand? The problem is still not getting fixed and they are owed alot of money (hypotheically of course ):cool:, yet they want to maintain a relationship with the merchant if only they could show some willingness through action.

How would you feel and act in this siuation?

Hi Bobcat,

Welcome to 5 Star. Thanks for joining us and starting off with a great topic!
That's a doozie of a 1st post!

I've never been in that situation and don't really personally do much affiliate marketing, mainly am a consultant. But I also consider myself an affiliate advocate and hate to see affiliates treated unfairly.

Here's an idea... What if you were to give the merchant an ultimatum and say I've given you every opportunity and lots of time to correct this problem. If it isn't resolved in 2 weeks, I will start informing the affiliate community of the problem.

Then bring it up (no libel or accusations, just the facts) on some affiliate forums if the problem is not resolved in 2 weeks.

See the affect this can have on a merchant's reputation and how the industry pressure can force a merchant to change their ways. Read my blog about it below.

<a href="http://affiliate-blogs.5staraffiliateprograms.com/3783/dirty-panties-merchants-affiliate-community.html">Merchants – Never Underestimate the Power of the Affiliate Community</a>

Hi Linda.

Thank-you for your post and for you valued advice. It is most interesting to hear the thoughts of senior industry insiders in this 'hypothetical' :cool: situation. I have also posted this thread in the abestweb legal lounge forum under 'Broken tracking' and I am trying to get a consensus of informed opinion from within the industry. A shape is beginning to evolve.

Please understand that for now I am not naming names as chaos may ensue.

Any more input anyone?

I've had merchants that have great stats and others that are unusable. I've got one that I was sending thousands of hits to, but their stats said I was sending dozens.

After months of emails back and forth, I dropped them and promoted another company. I sent an email telling them why I was dropping their ads and got no response.

Some companies are better than others and often I find that just moving on is much easier than trying to move mountains. ;)

To the OP yeah I am having the same (hypothetical:) ) problem. My rankings have not dropped and neither has my traffic but sales are about 10% or what they were.

I am still may consider dropping them if I don't get a response on a recent issue.

One other merchant I have stopped promoting their products and gave up trying to collect a few hundred dollars.

I may take Lindas advice and run with it.

I am starting to see more value in staying with the larger merchants and networks even after researching smaller ones that checked out ok before establishing a relationship.

Hi Bobcat, although I answered you in the other forum I did have a question. Is this program managed by an OPM, in house dedicated manager, a sales manager or by the owner theselves? If it is a manager and not the owner, it might help to speak directly to the owner to be sure that they know there is a problem.

If it is a well known merchant with a "good" reputation they have a lot to lose. It is in their best interest to correct a problem.

If a sales manager is overseeing all avenues of sales (affiliate and non-affiliate channels) the owner may not notice a sales drop off since overall sales will be good.

As time goes by more affiliates will notice, some may just drop the merchant but sooner or later someone will bring it into the open.

(My offer to contact the merchant without mentioning your name still stands.)

banners
Back