Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Domain Registration Scams

D

djbaxter

Beware Domain Registration Scams
by Amir Lev, Computerworld
Dec 5, 2009

Analysis: Hoaxes and spam about expiring domains are a favorite ploy -- here's how to spot the fakes

1. The bogus renewal
Fraudsters data-mine whois databases to find domains that will soon be up for renewal. They then send an official-looking invoice to the domain's billing contact. The hope is that the recipient won't notice that the invoice isn't from their actual domain registrar and will blindly pay it. The fine print often notes that, by paying the invoice, you're agreeing to transfer the domain from your legitimate registrar to the fraudster.

2. The fake trademark protection offer
Trademark protection is usually important to companies. The law in many countries basically says that a brand owner needs to be seen to protect its brand, or it may lose the right to protect it in the future. Fraudsters play on this, by suggesting that, in their country, there's a organization which is trying to register a domain with your brand in that country. They play on your unfamiliarity with that country's laws and aim to get you to register the name via their registrar.

...more

I never thought of this. I resently received a number of letters from an unknown registra, demanding highly inflated costs to ensure the renewal of a number of my domains. I have owned these domains for 10+ years, I didnt think anything of it at the time, just thought yeah right like I would pay them this money. It did not register scam, I just chucked them away in the bin, . I wish now I had kept them, to be able to provide the name here.
Just goes to show you can never be to safe. Its always best to do some diggin around if your never sure.

The best way to avoid this is to ignore every e-mail official looking or not and renew on your own terms, but thank you for the info. I have recently bought some domains just for me and I'm sure I would be lucky enough to fall for it.

MI
Back