The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Domain name: .com / .net/ or .eu?

nat014

affiliate
Hello

I am in the process of registering a domain name for my site. I am based in the UK and I cannot get a .com for my site. I can get a .net or .eu.
Does anyone has experience, feed back or info on domain names with .eu?

Any tips or suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I have never heard of that restriction. Is it the hosting company telling you that you cannot register a .com or is it the registration company?

I can't be positive, but this is something that comes up at times and I think this might be what Nathalie is saying. She wants for example, xyzabc123.com but xyzabc123.com is taken, someone else has already registered it. However xyzabc123.net is available and xyzabc123.eu is available.

That's right. For the key word I want I can't get .com.
Found my way around and found what I wanted with a .com.

Thanks for your replies

If your site is targeting people from the UK then it's better to use a .co.uk domain and host it on a UK server.

If it's the US a .com is perfect in combination with US based hosting.

Just a additional 2 cents i wanted to add.

If you have mutliple target markets, for instance the US and the UK you could do that approach...by setting it up in Google Webmaster Central for that subdomain to UK via the Set geographic target feature accessible within the "tools" section.

My personal approach would be to create a unique website for each geographic target location hosted on a domain with a matching country extension on a server residing within that country.

Hi

I think you could use .co.uk if your in the UK but I don't see why its a problem for you to use .com. It must depend on the company who's hosting you.

banners
Back