The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Do spelling and grammar matter when evaluating content and site quality?

D

djbaxter

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qoFf6Kn4K98?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qoFf6Kn4K98?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

A good follow up post by Chris Silver who's pretty well known in the local SEO space.

<a href="http://www.nodalbits.com/bits/will-google-use-spelling-grammar-as-ranking-factors/">Will Google Use Spelling &amp; Grammar As Ranking Factors?</a>

There are some issues with the concept as far as online marketing and comprehension goes for the readers that were not addressed. There is something called demographics.

Let's say for instance that I market for a used car site on a local level, and I write the content to match their lingo and slang. We all know ( or should know) that someone with an ivy league education is not likely to visit such a site, but rather a BMW or Jag site as an example.

The point is that the writing style and "grammar" of each said site has visitors that are specific to that demographic. A mechanic from Joe Bob's transmission fix it shop is not going to sit and read an ivy league written post or content because the language is "threatening" to the local mechanic. People want to hear from people like them, not someone in a different social class.

While I agree that spelling is important, someone from the "hood" has no interest in a take from a well educated, self proclaimed mastermind that is walking outside of his/her element with no practical experience in the said content and therefore is not going to convert, not on ads, not on PPC and not with affiliate links.

I really believe "G" is going a bit too far. They say write for the reader, but are throwing stones while they are living in a glass house. Are the engineers really that far removed from their visitors?

I see you're point. But spelling errors and poor writing don't distingush between highly educated and less highly educated customers. If your copy is badly written and riddled with spelling mistakes and poor sentence construction, the site as a whole leaves a bitter taste and lacks professionalism. You probably wouldn't even want to link to such a site. I know I wouldn't.

It's not about literary quality. It's about looking like professional, looking like you know what you're talking about, looking like you have at least a basic education and sufficient knowledge about a product to speak and write about it with at least a minimum level of quality and eloquence.

I read your posts here. Your posts would pass muster. But some others don't even come close to that basic yardstick (these are usually deleted).

I agree for the most part again, I think the devil is in the details here on us understanding what the other is trying to get across. I believe we are a lot closer on this than it looks like.

As a consumer myself im opting to find the details of the item im buying. Almost all of the stuff brag about there details so if you are a wise marketer you must pay attention to details. Spelling and Grammar is a must cause this are the details that makes you a professional in the internet marketing and business world.

MI
Back