The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Creative Article Marketing for Product-Based Affiliate

Linda Buquet

affiliate
I'm not big on article marketing. I know a lot of affiliates that do it and I know it works, it's just not an area I've ever focused my consulting or blogging efforts on. I think in part because so much of the affiliate article marketing I see focuses on selling ebooks and biz opps. But done right, article marketing can be used to sell physical products as well.

I just discovered a really great blog on the subject of article marketing for retail products that I thought would be really helpful to affiliates. The key is to NOT sound like you are selling a product but to write interesting, informational copy that publishers will accept and consumers are going to want to read.

Steve, from Submit Your Article gives a great example about a fictitious site owner who is selling Brand XYZ gourmet chocolate. She knows she can't just write: "Buy my chocolates, they are so yummy."
So what could she write about that doesn't sound like a sales pitch?
<blockquote><strong><a href="http://www.submityourarticle.com/creative-article-marketing/2008/05/09/what-is-the-best-way-to-write-articles-to-drive-traffic-back-to-my-product-website/">What is the best way to write articles to drive traffic back to my product website</a>?</strong>

Here are some ideas (and I'm putting these ideas in the form of article titles):

* "5 Ways You Can Tell If The Chocolate You're Eating Is High Quality"
* "What is the difference between Dark Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, and Semi-sweet Chocolate?"
* "The Health Benefits Of Eating Chocolate"
* "3 Restaurant Inspired Chocolate Dessert Recipes Made From Chocolate Bars"
* "The History Of Chocolate"
* "Is White Chocolate Really Chocolate?"

Now, it goes without saying that as the owner of this gourmet chocolate website is writing the above articles that she cannot mention her own business, website, products or affiliate products within her article. She cannot allude to or make reference to XYZ brand of chocolates in any way, shape, or fashion in her article.

She knows that her well crafted resource box (rather than her article) is the appropriate place to talk about herself, her business, and her website." <a href="http://www.submityourarticle.com/creative-article-marketing/2008/05/09/what-is-the-best-way-to-write-articles-to-drive-traffic-back-to-my-product-website/">More</a>...</blockquote>
Note: Even if you don't do article marketing, the tips here can be used to optimize the pre-sell copy you use on your own site. Sometimes the best way to sell is NOT to sell, but to offer enlightening content that gets them in the mood to buy.

Hat tip to Belle who has tips about how she does affiliate article marketing.
Here's her blog on the subject. <a href="http://www.adventuresinnetmarketing.com/2008/05/article-marketi.html">Article Marketing for Affiliate Sites</a>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the handy info. Looking into writing my 1st article to help people get started with an online business rather then trying to just sell an online business. Like offering free video tutorials etc from my products.

Yup - taking an educational approach is a great way to do a presell.

7 Steps to Get Great Biceps

(oh, and by the way, here's a supplement that will build your biceps 17% faster)

Yes, Think about yourself when you are reading an article. what turns you on or off? Something that is too salesy just puts me off and i click off.
something that grabs my curiosity and leads me to want to learn more is what i like. i think of the products i have bought online. most are from lists that i am on.i have grown to trust those people and they are bringing me info related to the reason i joined them in the beginning. They also sold me a few times -with clever marketing strategy - their articles or pre sales page was exactly that- they really made me want to see what was beyond that tempting link...
and i bought what was on the other side of that link!

I agree to write more than what we see but go deep and try to write what the people want to know. Do the best.

If you are promoting a product, having a presell in your article can lead to a higher percentage of sale with respect to the number of visitors in your articles.

A presell will explain the details of the product that you are promoting but not all of it as it will be tackled on the main page. Let the reader feel something is lacking that the main page is the place where he can get it. :)

Creative Article Marketing

I agree, you absolutely have to suggest and presell the product in articles. They can be very useful in creating backlinks, and getting the customer interested in your product.

Just a theory, I'm not a psychologist, but in general human beings are constantly searching for information that can increase their chances of replication and survival; so if you give your articles titles that triggers their interest it's more likely they'll click on that link in order to get that info.

One of the chocolate examples given above is a good example of it:

"The Health Benefits Of Eating Chocolate"
is better than:
"The History Of Chocolate"

(....in my opinion...)

And correct me if I'm wrong...

I hope I explained myself right...
Try to also think about that when you try to compose the perfect article title.

I've actually written some articles to a physical product and it's doing better than all my info products (views and CTR wise, still no sales :( )
Usually what I would do is compare two products in my article with the main features but tell the reader he can see a more detailed comparison "here". I've gotten 40% CTR on this method.
Now I just have to learn to convert these guys to a sale :)

Hey! Thank you so much for the information. It matters a lot to the newbie?s like me.
As far as my experience is concerned i have always give weight-age to the fresh and relevant article content but I never know so much about article marketing. Thanks for this post!

MI
Back