The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Content or Seniority?

TylerDurden

I'm considering putting my site online before it is complete so that I can send friends to it while I continue to work on it. Is this a bad idea? Will the SE spiders crawl my unfinished site and therefore hinder my SEO efforts or will they update it as I do?

Hi Tyler,

What I tend to do is help Google find my new site right away as soon as I have good homepage KW, have quite a bit of frontpage content and have the site presentable enough that when I get early visitors, it won't turn them off. Then as you update you are feeding her fresh content which she thinks is just yummy.

However be sure you don't have "under construction" or broken links or anything she does not like.

Now I think what some developers do too is get the site up, but use robots.txt to keep spiders out until they have the site at a point where they are ready for visitors. Just remember to change it once you are ready to go live. :p

Sooner the better

Tyler,

I would also go live as soon as you have a firm landing page. There is always the risk that you will "turn off" some early visitors, but you can and should, add some sort of caption that tells users that you are under construction. Search engines will update on a schedule, but you can help them a bit. Google has a program that will refresh when you add new content.

I think you should get a few 'completed pages out as soon as possible. By completed I mean no broen links and some optimized content. This just helps start off the aging process. Obviously try and get the site indexxed by generating backlinks to the site

You can then work on the site regarding building content, editing content etc to your heart's content

I have a site that has been up for two years now and still gets edited frequently

Thanks for the input guys. There are so many things that go into building a website and I didn't want to go live and then realize I made a mistake that will only hinder my SEO efforts. This is my first site and since the niche seems competitive I'm focusing my efforts on getting organic traffic (in time of course.) Thanks again!

Ya, I think you would want it looking just they way you like it before its debut!

Thanks for the input guys. There are so many things that go into building a website and I didn't want to go live and then realize I made a mistake that will only hinder my SEO efforts. This is my first site and since the niche seems competitive I'm focusing my efforts on getting organic traffic (in time of course.) Thanks again!

I tend to wait until I have the foundations of the site complete before I FTP'it online. That being said, I also realized early on that you don't need to have everything at 100 percent before you go live. If I was waiting for that day to come I'd still be working on the site. there's a point when you have to say "OK, I'll put up what I have and then add to it as the days and weeks go by". And to this day I still battle with that notion, but I at least now know that if I put a site online and it's a little bare, that's ok...I'll deal with it. Take care and all the best.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Linda, to make the spiders not able to crawl your page do you just put "robots.txt" anywhere in your code? Sorry I still don't know much about coding.

Hi Tyler,

It's like it's own page and needs to be in the root directory.

Here are all the options explained by Google.
Using a robots.txt file to control access to your site - Webmaster Help Center

It's kinda technical. You just need to find the "restrict all" if you even need to restrict them. I wouldn't - I'd just let Google find stuff as I added it provided I didn't have a bunch of bad links or anything she would not like. But that's just me.

not specific to affiliate marketing but to the website publication, i guess by now the choice will become more apparhent, however I always put my sites online ASAP b/c it helps w/ age, and it helps google find you faster. Yes you do need a good landing page. Yes a disclaimer should be placed on it, and GREAT Copy should be on it as well so as to couple your visitors interest with what is to come.

jmho

Website Content

Hi,

I'm sure you have your answer.. everyone has giving you good advice.

I was going to also suggest to set your site so the Search Engine wont scan your site.. as someone mentioned you do this with a code.

All you do is add some code to your site and It wont be indexed by google.

If your site is for the most done and SEO ready them it's not a bad idea to have your site up.. the more you add later will be "fresh content" and Google loves that!

Hope it goes well :)

banners
Back