The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

?? Blog directories & reciprocal links...

Taeran

affiliate
Hi all!

I'm new to the forums & new to the whole blogging thing, I've started working through some of the great ideas in this forum for increasing traffic to my site....

Apologies if this question has already been asked, I couldn't find reference to it when I searched....

I'm just wondering about submitting my site to blog directories that require a reciprocal link or button (eg topofblogs, bestblogs etc)

Is this a good was to go about things?? And where do I end! I really don't want 65 different buttons on my site linking to blog directories!

Is it a case of 'fewer is better'? eg link to only a couple main ones?

Anyway, thanks for any advise!!

Others here could maybe give you some better advice as I don't do reciprocal directories. But if I did I think I'd pick 4 or 5 of the top ones based on PR that are use dofollow links.

The best links you can get are from sites relevant to your own. So you may also want to do some commenting (real value-add conversation, not spam) on some blogs in your space. Also forums in your space. Also see if there are some social networks in your space. Some of them are pretty high PR, have do follow links on your profile page and some get pretty high search rankings.

Taeran:

You want incoming links to your blog. One-way links are best, but reciprocal
links still have considerable value.

A properly developed backlink and reciprocal link program will deliver far more targeted traffic to your blog due to its impact on the search engines than due to the actual directory links themselves.

You can build links, by this you can submit it to directories (popular directories), comment on dofollow blogs and if all fails hire a pro!

Avoid linking to these directories. Most of confirmation e-mails from these dirs land in outlook/gmail spam folder. They're treated as spam sites.

Are you using tools like SEOQuake or SEO for Firefox to look at the analytics of these directories?

If they're high authority ones like BlogExplosion, SEOMoz, Technorati, they're definitely worth submitting too. (although these don't require a reciprocal link).

the directories which require reciprocal links typically are new directories and the owners are trying to build them up.
I'd also look at the types of blogs that are listed in these directories.
If they're made-for-adsense (MFA) blogs or scraped content blogs, I'd avoid them like the plague.

-
An alternative is to setup a "Links" or "Partners" page and put the buttons on these pages. That way if you leak Google PageRank (for SEO ranking purposes), you "leak" it only from one page, rather than putting in on your blog template (probably a sidebar) and leaking PR value from EVERY page.

Hope these tips help.

You could also search around and find some blogs and forums that are relevant to your topic and leave helpful or insightful comments & posts. This could give you some nice one-way backlinks to your site...if the blogs are "do-follow" blogs.

You could look around for such a list of blogs. Or you could just go here (this is NOT my blog...I just have it bookmarked).

:)

MI
Back