The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Better to host from a local company?

TeDWooD

I have an issue here. I have the .com and .co.uk domain names and i live in the united kingdom. Should i get hosting from an American company like "hostgator" or a british one "123 reg"?

It depends on where your primary customers are likely to be. The primary determinant these days (for Google at least) is TLD so the co.uk will place you into the UK index. The .com would normally place you in the US index but that can be overridden by other information like location of hosting, address of registrant, or on-site information identifyinh the location of the site owner.

Yes, i do agree with you Dr David :)
Well, one more point to be added.. server location plays a vital role in website ranking. If you are targeting UK traffic then it's always advised to go with UK webhost having their server in UK which will ensure you better connectivity and SERP.
Let me know your hosting requirements i will help you with best managed hosting packages.

Server location plays a role, yes, but so does TLD and page content:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OgMdRKJOE_M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OgMdRKJOE_M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/keIzr3eWK8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/keIzr3eWK8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hXt23AXlJJU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hXt23AXlJJU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Many thanks for sharing your resource & knowledge... ! Yeah, if you are local business and are targeting local traffic Geotagging helps a lot :)

I am having difficulty now i have got the hosting.
All the files have been added to my public_html file from the file manager.
Why is my site not up?
Do i need to use the web disk for it to work?
Thanks

It takes time for your IP address to propagate through the various DNS databases, sometimes up to 72 hours or so, although these days it's usually faster than that.

It takes time for your IP address to propagate through the various DNS databases, sometimes up to 72 hours or so, although these days it's usually faster than that.
Thanks i decided to go with the american server in the end because there is a bigger market out there and its not geographical. I have the.co.uk redirect anyway.
Yes it must be taking a while for it to be up, seems im doing everything ok, ill wait another 3 more days and see.
Thanks.

Currently i am having issues with adobe dream weaver and tried using that. I have uploaded my files to the host directory of "/" because when i try to upload to "public_html" it does not allow me :/. This is really stressing me out now, i honestly thought getting my site up would be easy, obviously not.
All help will be greatly appreciated.

Contact your host, Ted. It is easy, once you have the setting correct. It may be that you need to use passive FTP, or secure FTP, depending on how your host has configured the server. Let them know what settings you're currently using and ask them what needs to be changed.

Also, you might try downloading FileZilla (freeware, opensource) and see if you can upload anything with that program. If so, it's something wrong with your DW settings or possibly folder permissions.

At the moment i am having problem with folder permissions when i try to connect to public_html. 'An FTP error has occurred - cannot open remote folder public_html/. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem'.
The file is there on my file manager on the cpanel, so i just don't understand why it's having problems.

In File Manager, highlight the public_html folder in the right hand panel (you may have to click on "Home" first deopending on how you connected) and them click on "Change Permissions". What are the current permissions for public_html?

I changed the permissions so they are all ticked. It still does not allow me to connect to public_html only to the "/" folder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so today i went onto go daddy and changed the name-server to my one, and my site is up but.... not working properly. All the images are missing and some pages you cannot connect to.
Anyone know why this might be?

I wonder if somebody actually tested this - say you try to rank for uk term with a uk domain hosting say is in the us and then switch to a uk hoster - I wonder if this really makes a difference...

Country of hosting is not the only factor determining whether you'll rank well in a regional Google. I have sites and have been involved with others that have done it in both directions for google.com and google.ca:

• sitename.ca hosted in the US
  • sitename.com hosted in Canada
My observations:

• You can rank well in google.ca either way, provided that the site content contains clear information that it is a Canadian site/business.
  • With a regional domain + US hosting, you can rank well in both google.com and google.ca (this is based on data from a well-established site, more than 10 years old).
  • With a .com domain and regional hosting? I don't have sufficient data to confirm how well it will rank in google.com.

banners
Back