The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Are people more polite in virtual worlds

temi

affiliate
Character rancor is much different on blogs, Twitter, (and so on)...It can get very petty," Jaron Lanier, scholar in residence at the Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology at the University of California, Berkeley, said here Wednesday at the AlwaysOn technology conference.
"In Second Life, it's almost more like theater," Lanier said. "I don't see people getting into petty interpersonal knots with each other. But this is anecdotal."

full story

Hyperpersonal

Hi Temi,

Interesting article, thanks for that.

There has been some research done on this. Early studies looked at 'flaming' (swearing etc., on forums), but they were mostly done in labs and even counted use of capitals so doubt was cast on how much this really goes on 'online'.

But a guy named 'Walther' has done some pretty good studies on what he has termed 'hyperpersonal' communication online. His theory is that people try to make up for the lack of clues by disclosing more information and being extra polite, and these days, careful use of avatars etc.

There are also suggestions that people try to be more polite because they know that text style communications can be more easily misunderstood, so are extra careful.

But I have had to tell students to watch their expressions online occasionally, particularly due to cultural differences comments they thought were okay sounded a bit sexist/racist etc.

Not often though, so I would not class it as a major problem.

Be interested to hear what others think.

'Walther' Hyperpersonal research sounds fascinating. I am pleased people go the extra mile to be polite to one another in forums, I have never consciously though of this but with hindsight I have not come across that many rude people in the forums I frequent.

I act the same as I do in person (For the most part. I curse a lot in person!).

But some people find that because they are behind a computer screen, they will say, do, and think anything they like because "It's not real". Fortunately, these people are usually at an age where they cannot vote or drink legally :D

I have found in a few forums that I am a member of that people seem to start off being quite polite to each other, and then as time goes on and they get more familiar, the politeness goes and they start ripping each other apart. Perhaps in real life they would do that too - how would you know - but it is actually quite surprising what some people will say to each other.

I think in Second Life, because you can 'see' the person you are communicationg with, people tend to be more polite. Perhaps one day there will be a forum with the 'feel' of Second Life, where you all actually stand in a room and chat about business/webmastering etc. Or perhaps there already is?

Perhaps one day there will be a forum with the 'feel' of Second Life, where you all actually stand in a room and chat about business/webmastering etc. Or perhaps there already is?

I think there are such forums but no url come to mind righ now.

According to Wiki there are a few others, including 'there' and 'active worlds' - if I can find a bit of time I will check them out!

I would say most people are polite in the virtual world.

Most people prefer chatting behind a PC becaue they are too shy to go face to face.

I'm the same whether it is face to face or online :)

On being shy

I would say most people are polite in the virtual world.

Most people prefer chatting behind a PC becaue they are too shy to go face to face.

I'm the same whether it is face to face or online :)

I think that is a good point about being shy. Some people worry at first about the fact what they say is very public, but once they get used to it they feel more confident online because that personal shyness does not matter. It is also a good way to access people who have physical or mental impairments who perhaps have real difficulty getting out and about. Perhaps they can feel more confident online too.

I think some research suggests most people remain 'themselves' but that some can feel, or pretend to be, very different when online. Sort of have an online persona. I guess that may influence politeness too, but I may be going off the track here a bit!

Personally I still think it is important to have ethical guidelines online and to keep an eye on things in case you get someone who is impolite...

banners
Back