The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Anyone tried to sell ads on their site?

onlinemallrat

affiliate
I have found some internet malls who offer the opportunity for persons who have websites not on the affiliate market to purchase ad space on the mall pages. Has anyone tried this and if so what was your success?
Thanks

I have had a very popular Jazz Guitar site for the past 4 years and I have only begun opening the site up to advertisers as of March 2008. It's doing well so far and I am pleased with the response. What I have done was to approach various merchants in my niche with either emails or snail-mail mentioning to them that I am now open to advertisers and what the benefit to them would be if they advertised on my site. I've had a few sign ups with more waiting to see...At first it's a time consuming endeavor and be prepared for a bunch of "No Thank You's". But if you stick at it, it could pay off nicely down the road. The trick is of course to sell them right away on the potential of the site vis-a-vis their products or services and how it's a win-win situation with advertiser and reader befitting nicely from the exchange of both parties. I hope this answered a part of your question. Take care and all the best.

onlinemallrat, I'm not sure I'm clear which side of the fence your question is coming from. Are you asking from the viewpoint of wanting to buy ad space on someone's mall OR are you thinking about selling ads on your own mall???

I thought you were asking about 1st scenario as a potential advertiser, but it sounds like jazzguy read your question as if it was the other way around???

I want to sell other webmasters ad space on my site and wondered if anyone else had had success in doing so and was lookinfg for tips.

OK sorry, I read it the other way around for some reason. Sounds like jazzguy had some good advice. Hopefully some other members can weigh in.

Yeah, this is something that I am starting to consider. Since my Traffic is picking up and my Blog has reached 6 months in age now it is something I am seriuosly looking into.

Iam not sure what type of price I would charge fro peeps to advertise on my Blog.
I was thinking about starting out at $7 a month for a small banner. I dont know.

But I hope to hear if anyone else has done this and what they started out with as far as prices and with what sort of traffic were they getting at that point when they started ??

I am asking $10 a month for a prominently placed 120X60 ad. I post the ad on an appropriate page suitable to correspond with what their product or service is. Once they approve the placement and content then they submit $120. through paypal. Only one taker so far but the offer has only been up for a week. I began this once my site averaged 3000 hits a month.

Re: Traditional Media

Hi OnlineMall

Yes, there is a lot of success with this type of advertising. However, it is pretty much the opposite of affiliate marketing. This is more like traditional media where as affiliate marketing is more result based.

Normally, this is a popular option for high-traffic sites or sites that have a strong brand recognition.

3000 unique hits per month is not alot from the advertisers point of view, breaking it down that is only 100 visitors a day.

Currently I have a 125 x 125 ad on a site that is in the same niche as my own, the site also has around 3000 hits per month. The ad is placed above the fold so is very prominent, yet it only gets 2 to 3 hits per day, as yet those hits havn't made me anything.

For my situation that ad is only worth at most $20 per month to me, obviously I don't know what type of site that onlinemallrat's is but you maybe pricing yourself out at $120.

Just my opinion anyway
Adam

Thanks for the feedback adam7one. I have an online affiliate shopping site and advertisers can pick the category page to place their related ad and it will be above the fold for early subscribers. As far as pricing myself out you may be right I may have to start out lower and consider raising if things do get better.
Thanks again.

MI
Back