The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Affiliate program management? I thought I was my own boss now?!

dmalk

affiliate
Not being overly impressed with the product selection offered by ClickBank (in addition to reading the sticky on it here), I decided to have a look at the recently publicized Pepperjam network.

As I was reading through the affiliate section, I became curious about a few things relating to affiliate programs in general.

1.) When it is said that an affiliate program is managed, does that entail employee-like duties for me, the publisher/marketer? I had originally envisioned the relationship being more detached, where I basically do my thing (get the targeted traffic to their site) and they do their thing (pay me commission on any sales). When I sign up with a network like Pepperjam, for example, should I expect typical employee like responsibilities (being available by phone during biz hours, attending meetings, etc)?

2.) What does it mean when the network says they can help "unleash the true sales potential of your affiliate program"? If they are doing that, then what do they need me for? I thought the contribution I brought to the relationship was my ability to direct prospects their way?

If anyone can help clarify this for me, I'd be absolutely grateful!

Thanks!
Damon

Hi Damon,

Good questions. You are right in the 1st half of #1. You are independent, doing your own thing as long as you play by the merchants rules. Each is a little different but many are just common sense and ethics like no spam.

When it says a program is managed or pro-actively managed - the managers don't manage you - they manage the affiliate program. This includes lots of day -to-day activities, one of the most important of which is supporting affiliates and be available to answer questions. But you are not accountable to them and never need to answer your phone even. :)

2) The network provides the infrastructure, technology and other tools to facilitate the affiliate/merchant relationship. The network can help make it easier for the merchant to build a strong program, but they still need you. "I thought the contribution I brought to the relationship was my ability to direct prospects their way?" Yep that's your end of the deal.

Thought that might ease your mind.

Trust me, most affiliates I know would RUN the other way if AM
felt like a J.O.B. or a manager tried to act like they were their boss.
Seriously they would RUN... Screaming! :p

One of the best things about AM is the freedom to be your own boss.
So don't worry. :)

MI
Back