The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Youtube copyright question

P

positivecarry

If a video on youtube has a copyright symbol on it, with a person's name, I am assuming you can't use that on your site. But, if a person uploads a video (they are the source, like a vid of their dog) can anyone just take the video and use it on their site? Any thoughts appreciated.

And how do you know the original source? A very common practice, I believe, is to take videos, and then throw your url all over them to get traffic.

I don?t know for sure so this is not an official answer, but my assumption is if youtube gives the embed code then the user must be OK with people embedding. To me that's sort of implied consent. When you grab the embed code it automatically links back to the source on youtube.

However I only use related videos and for the right reasons so I don't have any concerns about it. I'm sure they have help files that talk about all the legalities so you really should check there and not take advice from anyone on a forum, especially me! :p

I also suspect that taking someone else's work for your own gain and editing to put your url all over it is a copyright violation or could cause problems. Think about if you took hours to make a video and a bunch of people took it and used it to drive traffic to their own sites.

Yeah, it looks like a legal minefield. People use music as well, that is there is no way they have rights to(full songs) on great video. That stuff is off limits, and it is usually the best videos. Right, the embed code that youtube provides... there is something there that implies a bit of consent as you say, but then they put copyright symbols on the vids. Hmmmmmm.... I'll stick to home produced vids, with no popular songs, and no copyright symbols. Should be ok.

I don't want to steal anyones work. If we had no patents or rights world would be a mess. But a home video of a dog walking around a yard seems ok.

MI
Back