The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

WordPress 2.8 released

Whoa another upgrade? I just paid someone to upgrade me. Seems like it was just yesterday.
Hate to do upgrades!!! (As you know all too well!) :p

You can do this from your WordPress Dashboard, Linda. No downloads. All you need to know are your FTP login details and the WordPress control panel does all the rest. :)

Call me chicken but I'm afraid. Every time I upgrade my developer checks to be sure all my plugins are compatible. If something didn't work or the upgrade broke my theme I would not know how to revert back. SO I'd rather stick my chicken little head in the sand and ignore it :p or pay my guy to do it for me.

Is it a big security update?

I uypgraded 2 blogs to 2.8 and I haven't see any issues at all at this point. I have about 20 plug-ins installed and none needed upgrades.

Can you point me to what you've read or heard that suggests 2.8 is problematic?

After talking to my WP guy, I decided to wait, even before reading this. Since it's not a security update and I'm not having any issues that I need updates for I decided to hold out. But then again I'm sort of a
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda gal when it comes to getting updates done.

Checking for plug-in compatibility and even disabling them before an upgrade is a standard part of the WordPress upgrade instructions, but in truth if you keep your plug-ins up to date it's rarely an issue in my experience. If you're running WordPress 2.2 and expect to be able to update to 2.8 without running into an issue with your old plug-ins, well, yes, I guess you're going to have a problem.

This is how the page in your first link looks in IE8...

I learned just now that 2.8 has some improvements to increase your page load time by compressing css and javascript files.

Coincidentally i was just looking to do something like that, and now it's already taken care off by WordPress. :)

Linda, your blog is fine in IE8, IE8 compatibility view, Opera, and Firefox.

The page in that screenshot above is messed up in IE8, IE8 compatibility view, and Opera - the only browser where it looks okay is Firefox.

A good reason to install alternate browsers and check your pages in all of them...

I learned just now that 2.8 has some improvements to increase your page load time by compressing css and javascript files.

Coincidentally i was just looking to do something like that, and now it's already taken care off by WordPress. :)

Yes, except I think you ment "decrease page load time"... :) And WP does seem to load faster now.

Complete list of big fixes: /trunk (log) ? WordPress Trac

List of improvements and new features, complete with a video demo: WordPress › Blog 2.8 Release Jazzes Themes and Widgets

I went back to read that page in Firefox and note this part:

Some of the main issues people seem to be having are related to plugins, Google Gears, and their ability to edit/update and create posts and pages.

I haven't had any issues at all with any of those things.

Following the links in the article to support threads.

The first link is unresolved but my guess would be an outdated WP theme.

The second is resolved - out of date plug-in:

I deactivated all plugins and activated one by one. The problem is the plugin "Use Google Libraries".

With it deactivated, WP 2.8 works fine.

The third is unresolved but I and many others aren't experiencing any of those problems.

The 4th seems to relate to one or two specific plugins and reportedly is only a problem in Firefox. Firefox had some scripting errors which are supposedly fixed in the latest Firefox update, so it may be more a Firefox issue than a WP issue.

If you do have a problem andc want to reinstall WP 7.1, you can get it at http://wordpress.org/wordpress-2.7.1.zip

YIKES!

Was just adding something to my blog and found a hidden text link in my theme.

Hidden with a code I've never heard of.

span class="blind" then the link and anchor text.

Luckily it wasn't a "bad" link or link to bad neighborhood, just a dating ebook but still I'm TICKED.
It was in my single page template so has been on every page of my blog.

Added:

I just went to double check my own blogs in other browsers and discovered (via the ACP - I love this feature added in 3.7x!) that there have been a flurry of updates to plugins, preumably in response to the rerlease of WP 2.8. As noted, the 3.7x versions worked fine for me in 3.8 but if you are currently using 3.7x it might be worth updating the plugins first before updating WP itself.

YIKES!

Was just adding something to my blog and found a hidden text link in my theme.

Hidden with a code I've never heard of.

span class="blind" then the link and anchor text.

Luckily it wasn't a "bad" link or link to bad neighborhood, just a dating ebook but still I'm TICKED.
It was in my single page template so has been on every page of my blog.

Linda, your CSS file for the single blog page shows the class you mentioned, if this wasn't in their originally it's been put in there by someone else.

I would check all your files thoroughly and change your passwords, etc - computer AV scans...the lot!

Yeah, I meant decrease Minstrel. ;)

banners
Back