The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Where Can I Host JavaScript File ?

winstonSmith

affiliate
Hi, I wonder if anyone can advise me regarding a simple question.

I have written a useful JavaScript bookmarklet, which I would like to make available to people for free. It refers to a JavaScript .js file which contains most of the code for the bookmarklet, and I am basically wondering where to store this .js file.

I have a broadband account with Virgin Media in the UK and they provide me with 50MB free webspace, (though I would imagine this is intended only for personal use, and not any kind of 'business' usage).

I wonder if I could just host my .js file there. Everytime somebody clicks on the bookmarklet (I am optimistic of course somebody somewhere will find it useful!) the .js file will be downloaded from my VM web site.

I wonder if VM would not allow this, or would restrict the number of 'hits' that were allowed. What's the general attitude of home broadband providers towards this type of usage ?

If I couldn't use VM webspace for this, what would be another good option for hosting the file ? Are there any free options I could use ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

More than where to host it is how will people find it. For a single small file that you want your friends to download Virgin would probably be fine.

If you are going to be advertising the program and get a huge amount of visitors you may have to rethink it.

Assuming that your releasing it as open source, try sourceforge as they will provide all the space you need as long as it's open source and since it's a searchable database will also do a bit of the advertising too.

That doesn't sound very free to me, my advice would be to move at the first chance. We sell domains for just £5.99 and we don't do hosting but i'm sure you could have found a few places cheaper than this with much better support.

A quick note on "unlimited" hosting. It's a lie, there are no such things as unlimited hard drives so there will be a limit somewhere the only problem now is that you don't know where it is.

Company is regdotter, Cheap Domain names .com's just £5.99 - Regdotter.com it should be in my sig but for some reason I can't add it.

We do sell .org and .co.uk, and offer free privacy protection. Not wanting to sound like a sales pitch and repeating what I said earlier there may be better overall companies out there even if the domain name is a little more expensive since they do hosting also. We only worry about domain names so can offer such low prices.

As far as I can recall Nominet is the only registry that allows people privacy protection as standard and that is under the condition that you are not trading. All the other registrars saw how popular this was and decided to shoehorn in a kind of solution. It depends on the registrar as to what solution they use (and how much they charge). In 99% of cases the end user doesn't need to worry about how it's happening, only that thier details are protected.

If you really want to go in depth regarding domain privacy it's probably be left for a different thread but I hope this answers you question.

banners
Back