The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

When to keyword research

Jessi

affiliate
When do you start your keyword research?

Is it as soon as you want to start a site? After you decide on a niche and name? After the site is built and you start creating content?

I prefer the following order - 1. Decide the niche 2. Identify the possible keywords 3. If possible, name as per keyword (the URL with the main keyword stuffed works good on all counts) 4. Get the Basic Content ready 5. Start the Site 6. Add more content maybe with existing keywords or new keywords.

3. If possible, name as per keyword (the URL with the main keyword stuffed works good on all counts)

Please be careful with this. This used to be a really good technique, but now Google penalizes Exact Match Domains (EMDs) which are when the keywords are stuffed as the domain name. You're sometimes better off not choosing urls with more than one keyword in them.

Please be careful with this. This used to be a really good technique, but now Google penalizes Exact Match Domains (EMDs) which are when the keywords are stuffed as the domain name. You're sometimes better off not choosing urls with more than one keyword in them.

Well that is news to me. I have always thought it it a good choice if your url has more than one keyword and it helps to bring your site up on the displayed results. Exactly how do they penalized the us if we are guilty of Exact Match Domains? Oh right, thanks for sharing this! It is a great tip for fellow web sites owner around!

Yes, I read about this on a response from you on another forum and I mentioned - I have rectified myself after reading that response as I did not know about it eaarlier.

Yes, I read about this on a response from you on another forum and I mentioned - I have rectified myself after reading that response as I did not know about it eaarlier.

Keywords search should start as soon as you identify your niche. They can be ones that can help decide the best domain name for your site.

RE the EMD penalty mentioned above...

I have always found using a niche related domain name to be good with part of main keyword in the domain, but then using the long tail keywords as the headings (and therefor the URL?) for pages to be the way forward.

This has worked with me using page title as URL in wordpress permalinks setting.

Make sure you try not to get in a too competitive niche

I start keyword research after deciding niche, book domain and build website. I do keyword research to pick relevant keywords for website and start promotion on it.

banners
Back