The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

When the Net Dies

Linda Buquet

affiliate
My net connection was down ALL day today. Totally screwed up my day. Besides that I felt totally lost. Everything I could think of doing required the net. I guess that's a sign of a true addict. :p

I need to look into some type of pay as you go Internet connection, just to use if my cable goes down again.

Any ideas? What do you guys do when you lose your connection? Go out and have fun? Well thats what I finally decided to do and about the time I was ready to leave to go shopping, my Internet came back up. That figures! :eek:

Try 60 days in lockup ;)

Our adsl is over the copper wire so if one goes down the lot goes down.

We should look at backup over wireless but the equipment is pricey if you're not using it properly

Hey Linda, I don't know of any pay-as-you-go Internet service providers (in fact, I didn't even realize they existed!), but your post reminded me of a huge blackout a few summers ago that hit Detroit, Minnesota, Southern and Eastern Ontario, New York and everything in between. I was actually on a plane coming back from LA at the time, and we had to land elsewhere because the runway couldn't be lit! If it was the power, and not the Internet that went out, would you take the day off or find something to do? :D

hehe NO! If the power goes out I have battery back-up so I can keep working. :p Invested in it back when CA had all the rolling power outages.

My solution was that my cable provider also gives us a "mobile" dial up access. When the cable went down I could still connect via dialup. Recently, however, I ditched my traditional land line and converted over to VOIP. This means when my Internet goes down so do both of my phone lines. Fortunatly it doesn't happen very often.

We've just had the next scenario - 5.5 business hours of no power - for virtually the whole city.

We always make sure we have one "old fashioned" phone in the house as well as mobiles so we weren't cut off. My husband could work on his laptop for a while but mine is a desktop so it was game over.

I have a lovely tidy desk to show for it ;)

Bummer. Hmmm cleaning my desk - now that's something I could do next time I lose my connection like I just did again. This time it was my router though not Adelphia. Dang I hate being down!

MI
Back