The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

What does a web host provide?

jmk909er

affiliate
If I get a domain name, and use WordPress, do I still need a web host and what does a web host provide?
Thanks.

You don't necessarily need your own hosting to use WordPress - you can have it hosted at WordPress.com - but is highly recommended to acquire your own hosting because ALL free hosting comes with certain restrictions on content, bandwidth, etc., and you may find your free hosting account suddenly suspended if you fall afoul of their rules. You may run into this especially with affiliate sites.

Shared hosting can cost as little as $5-6 a month so it's not terribly expensive. What your own hosting provides is physical disk space on a server for the files that create your web pages (e.g., the WordPres software), plus an IP address and DNS location so that visitors can find your site, plus bandwidth to actually serve up your pages to visitors. Depending on the type of hosting package you purchase (well, actually rent), you may get additional services such as technical support in the event there are problems with your site or access to your site and automatic backups of your webpages and databases. Additionally, you usually get one or more email accounts for your domain, e.g., Joe@JoeKoppel.com, which generally looks more professional than Joe@hotmail.com or whatever.

Thanks Minstrel, can you make a recommendation for web hosting?

Also what about a domain name? Or is that taken care of with hosting?

1. I use A Small Orange - A Small Orange: Homegrown Hosting - but I've only used their VP|S and Dedicated hosting plans - superb support, in my experience. There are a few threads here with other recommendations.

2. I personally don't like to buyt domain names from the same people I buy hosting from. I use GoDaddy.com for my domain names - others like namecheap.com.

2. I personally don't like to buy domain names from the same people I buy hosting from. I use GoDaddy.com for my domain names - others like namecheap.com.

I have read this in several places. What is the advantage of getting a domain from somewhere other than the host?

I have read this in several places. What is the advantage of getting a domain from somewhere other than the host?

1. It's usually cheaper from GoDaddy or NameCheap.

2. If you should have a falling out with your host, you'll have less difficulty moving your site and databases and pointing the nameservers to your new hosting.

I have been looking at ipage and they claim uptime of 99.9% so your experience is that it is not true? They have a great offer???

via mobile device

MI
Back