The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

What Do Affiliate Marketers Look For?

EXRN

affiliate
Hello,

I am about to launch a web site and will be selling a niche product.

I installed affiliate manager software so I can add an affiliate program in the future.

By looking around at affiliate sites, it looks like many use a 2 tier commission payout. Is that what most marketers want?

My product price points are $149.95 and $259.95. Is there a formula for deciding on commission percentage on both tiers?

How often do most pay (weekly, monthly)?

What should be the minimum before being paid?

Does it really attract affiliate marketers to put $10 or $20 into their account when they join?

I guess that is enough questions for one post!

Thank you for your assistance!

David Simons

Hi David,

Welcome to 5 Star! You made a great decision to do some research here before you launch. I can answer your questions for you, but my answers could vary somewhat based on the product or market. For instance some types of programs lend themselves to 2 tier, others it's not worth it. Comm % also varies based on product type.

If you can share the type of products with us or even a general category, we can give you some better answers.

EXRN said:
By looking around at affiliate sites, it looks like many use a 2 tier commission payout. Is that what most marketers want?

From my experience, most webmasters prefer to join only 2 tier programs.

EXRN said:
How often do most pay (weekly, monthly)?

Usually, monthly...

In general, Linda is right, all affiliate programs are very specific.
Which niche product are you going to sell? Try to search for {Your product} Affiliate Program at Affiliate Program Directories and you will see that all programs in your niche have many common features determined by experience , statistics, etc.

Good luck!

Ann

"From my experience, most webmasters prefer to join only 2 tier programs."
I actually disagree. Most super affiliates prefer not to have 2nd tier commission and would rather have higher commish for their own efforts. Due to the 95/5 rule of affiliate marketing they realize most 2nd tier affiliates won't make many sales whereas they know THEY will. Here I'm talking mainly about retail product type affiliates.

The big exception is webmaster related, info products or Internet marketing programs. If you are an affiliate thats selling mainly to other webmasters it makes sense to want 2nd tier commish.

What do you guys think???

2-tier shmoo tier

I wouldn't get too hung up on the tiers. First look at your competition, other businesses who sell to the same customers, various affiliate platforms they use, what key selling features they are using to get affiliates. Sign up for them all and see how it goes, check their TOS, commissions, and so on.

Also make sure you have a website that converts, have the data to show affiliates, are using a good web analytics system, and some other forms of marketing such as PPC, SEO, email marketing, offline ads.

You said "will be selling" so I would focus on the selling first, and then get into adding an affiliate channel later.

-Peter

I know one or two super affiliates who supplememt their first tier income with a 2nd tier income also.

It's usually not much better than beer money but it is something.

I also think that cookie duration is very important to the affiliates.
I have never been an affiliate myself, but asked for my program reviews at many forums and that's what many affiliates point to...

Sincerely,

MI
Back