The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

What are the Right Steps to Get in the Top 10 Results?

TheSocial

affiliate
Hi,
I am a newbie in affiliate marketing. I read many topics in this forum which helped me greatly.
Now I am trying to put these tips into practice.
- I created a blog and wrote some articles with proper on-page SEO rules
- Then I chose a keyword that receives about 1,300 global monthly searches via Google Keyword tool
- I searched in Google for the keyword with quotes (exact phrase) and it gives about 9200 results
- Then I picked the 1st result and typed link:The Website URL to know how many backlinks to the 1st result. They are only 4 backlinks.

Am I doing well? is this keyword good to be targeted?
Thanks,

The process you followed is pretty good, except for the back link part. Google does not show you backlinks very often. Many times it only says 4 and there are 400 or even 4000.

I use a variety of tools to ck backlinks and they all show different numbers. But probably the most popular is Majestic SEO : Site Explorer. Check both the fresh index and the historic to get a pretty good picture of what you are up against.

You can also use the Comparator there to analyze the top 5 URLs to give you a good competitive overview.

Hi Linda. I used MajesticSEO to know the exact number of backlinks to the top 10 results on the first page. But I want to know do I need to compete with the primary domain of each website or with the exact page that is listed in the search results?

Example: The First result is www.website.com/page.html
So Do I need to check the backlinks to www.website.com OR to www.website.com/page.html ?

It would be VERY difficult to compete with a website that existed since the year 2000 !
Thanks,

In addition, I see something weird. The 1st result sometimes has only 2000 backlinks while the 2nd has about 53.000 backlinks! they both target the same exact keyword.
How can this happen?

In addition, I see something weird. The 1st result sometimes has only 2000 backlinks while the 2nd has about 53.000 backlinks! they both target the same exact keyword.
How can this happen?

This can be caused by a hundred or more different factors, like link profile, age and authority of the sites the links are coming from, content on the site, internal nav of the sites in question and many, many other factors.

Jim is right - all links are not created equal. There are high and low quality links plus all the other variations he mentioned.

Plus one could have lots of links to that just have their domain or biz name in the anchor other high listing with fewer links could have keyword anchor text. Some of the links #2 has could be no follow links or spammy links or multiple links from the same domain, which may not count at all, or for much.

So the # of links is just one metric to look at.

Guys ask yourself a question what if 20 guys would take and follow 'top 10'? Many guys will be out of 10th rank. These things are never constant. Remember the market is "liquid".

Hay everyone, agreeing with MariaFrolova that the results will constantly fluxuate. However keeping on top of your SEO both on page and off, should ensure you stay ranked well, even though you may change from page 1 to 2 and back again. At least your there, and keeping your site content fresh, unique and update will always help. Just my 2 cents...

Thanks for the --Majestic SEO Site Explorer-- link Linda, when I tried to find back-link info about my site in a normal search I wasn't getting very good results, great help thanks

MI
Back