The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Webpage vs Landing Page

A website is a creative work of a number of webpages
A landing page is a webpage that is a part of a funnel to some end result like;
  • to a cpa offer
  • to your own email sign up
  • to create a CTA (call to action) to get a click thru to some target page on your website
A landing page is a type of webpage

If you are going to be buying ads --it's common to use a single webpage as a pre sell to some network offer that would be called a 'Landing page'.
webpage and landing page differ only in intent.

When starting out as an affiliate, what would be better, promoting product/services through a Website or a Landing Page?

Any page where a visitor lands and can "trigger an action" with minimal clicks is a Landing Page.

Even if you have a review website - the CTA and the links to your products, turn your post into a Landing page.

In your case, I am assuming, by landing page you mean a sales page or one that makes an instant sale.

Then it all depends on your traffic source. If you're doing paid traffic, the sales page is your best option. For organic, you need a beautifully SEO'd website.

Affiliate Marketing is a lot of trial and error. There is no one answer set in stone.

Why not try both? See which works for you - then take it from there.

Back in the dinosaur days of the internet:
URLs were not pretty link rewrites
Or, a simple static website
├── img
│ └── cat.jpg
├── index.php
├── page1.php
├── page2.php
├── page3.php

today:
├── index.php becomes a new webpage (or landing page) with unique content based on the ?['QUERY_STRING']
-------------------------->index.php?product=bobblewarts&color=blue
and is URL rewritten to //domain/bobblewarts/blue
Dynamic content^ this is how a blog works too.

//domain/bobblewarts/blue
  1. is a landing page for an ad; or,
  2. a landing page for SEO organic referrals.
  3. The first page seen is the landing page.
If there are 2: pre lander / landing (target page)

Page 1,2,3 are separate pages that could be either dynamic or static content
├── page1.php becomes a new webpage (or landing page) with unique content based on the ?['QUERY_STRING']
-------------------------->page1.php?product=hoops&size=medium
and is URL rewritten to //domain/hoops/medium
or //domain/1/hoops/medium
What you see in the browser address bar is a server path illusion
Confusing: yes

Even if that action is opening the menu and clicking to another relevant page.
IRW (in the real word)

Affiliate Marketing-CPA takes a tortured interpretation of the meaning of 'Landing Page' ;
In its context, there is no website options;
Paid network ad -> Landing page --> offer form (buy, signup, install) the payout part of the CPA schema

I couldn't agree more.

You seem like an ancient, one of the originals, like me.

There was a time when this worked wonders though. The market was abuzz with "Landing Page Designers".

Times have changed - but the connotation attached to such terms which should've been deemed archaic have not.

There needs to be more education on this front. What do you say?

20 years way back :)
Language should evolve. New connotations should not be assigned to dissimilar terms (terminology).
I see acronyms that a abused and misused all the time.
I invented something new ! Let's reuse an old acronym or term so people won't think we just make this up :D

Yes - that is the biggest curse on our industry.

I blame it on old published material that was abandoned by their creator and is now found rampantly on those download sites.

New materials are now seminars or webinars with an expensive price tag. So the barrier to entry is raised.

Newcomers refer to the old material and end up getting confused.

Which is why - we need to update the language. Make information more freely available.

Well, my advice is to use both.
I suggest you create a brand, or personal webpage, that you will be using as a means to get people to go to your landing pages, which in turn you will create to get leads and sales of affiliate offers.
I don't think you should be limited to one of the 2. If you're planning to create and grow a business that will be there for years, you should definitely combine both (along with many other elements).

When starting out as an affiliate, what would be better, promoting product/services through a Website or a Landing Page?

that depends on your marketing strategy.
but in general, for affiliate marketing I prefer a landing page, no way I will go create a website to promote someone else's product, it doesn't make sense at all.

Any page where a visitor lands and can "trigger an action" with minimal clicks is a Landing Page.
Even if that action is opening the menu and clicking to another relevant page.
IRW (in the real word)

Affiliate Marketing-CPA takes a tortured interpretation of the meaning of 'Landing Page' ;
In its context, there is no website options;
Paid network ad -> Landing page --> offer form (buy, signup, install) the payout part of the CPA schema

My suggestion is to use both. Both have different functions and serves different purposes. It depends on your marketing strategy and what you are promoting. If you are promoting multiple products and planning to write content around it, the website will be the best option. If not, then the landing page is the best option available for you.

that depends on your marketing strategy.
but in general, for affiliate marketing I prefer a landing page, no way I will go create a website to promote someone else's product, it doesn't make sense at all.
Makes sense but aren't you theoretically (or was it legally?) supposed to have at least 'privacy policy' and 'terms and conditions' pages? (or something similar) This means you would need to have some kind of menu/links somewhere on your page... Maybe this is all dependent from where you are located?

20 years way back :)
Language should evolve. New connotations should not be assigned to dissimilar terms (terminology).
I see acronyms that a abused and misused all the time.
I invented something new ! Let's reuse an old acronym or term so people won't think we just make this up :D

Makes sense but aren't you theoretically (or was it legally?) supposed to have at least 'privacy policy' and 'terms and conditions' pages? (or something similar) This means you would need to have some kind of menu/links somewhere on your page... Maybe this is all dependent from where you are located?

it's exactly like what @Graybeard said, it depends on your traffic source, sometimes you will have to add the legal pages, and sometimes you don't have to :)

Makes sense but aren't you theoretically (or was it legally?) supposed to have at least 'privacy policy' and 'terms and conditions' pages? ... ... Maybe this is all dependent from where you are located?
Depends on your advertising;
--SEM (Google Ads, Bing Ads, etc ...) require that
--Most Ad Networks (RTB) do not
--SEO maybe that is advantageous towards legitimacy.​

MI
Back