The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Web filters mistakenly blocking Yahoo

temi

affiliate
Websense's products are meant to block malicious Web sites, but on Tuesday and Wednesday the Web filters also blocked Yahoo.com.
The blockade is the result of an erroneous update sent out to Websense customers late Tuesday afternoon, a representative for the San Diego, Calif.-based company said. "The details are still under investigation but some IP addresses associated with the Yahoo.com site were classified incorrectly," the representative said.
As a result, Web surfers at organizations that use Websense filtering software are unable to access the popular Web site. Websense on its Web site states that its products are used to filter Web traffic for about 24.5 million computers worldwide.
full story: Web filters mistakenly blocking Yahoo | Tech News on ZDNet

These errors happen from time to time. But in the end you just get a formal apology and that's it.
Noone cares if someone lost money due to a mistake like this.
I wonder what Yahoo thinks about that.

This reminded me of a discussion I had with some of my fellow students a few months ago. We were discussing the posibilty of a market collapse due to a mistake in a NetFilter/Firewall/AntiVirus software (it was for a paper).
After running some numbers we got to a conclusion that companies who produce such software should pay some kind of an insurance (just like doctors pay malpractice insurance) so they could cover the expenses and losses such errors might cause.
But I guess we'll never see that happening.

banners
Back