The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Trackbacks? Can somebody educate me, please?

ArizonaJay

<b>5 Star Moderator</b>
affiliate
I've read a variety of different things about Trackbacks and I still don't get it. You guys have consistently and patiently explained things to me in a way that I understand. Can I please impose on your generosity again to ask for some information about what trackbacks are, do I need them? and how to use them?

Thanks.

Here's a thread where I explained it to someone else.

http://affiliate-marketing-forums.5...help-needed-pinging-trackbacks.html#post32970

Per your other question, trackbacks are another way to build backlinks. You talk about Susan's blog, quote it and link to it. Then add a trackback in the space at the bottom of your post before you hit publish. The trackback is the full URL of her blog posts with /trackback/ added at the end of the URL.
(both a forward and backward slash).

After she approves your trackback there will be a link to your post, in her blog post. You notice in my blog I'm always quoting and linking to other affiliate blogs to reference good tips or whatever, but part of the reason is to get the backlinks from related blogs.

Here's more detailed info.
Trackback for Dummies. What is a Trackback? | Digital Musings

I had to ask Linda to explain it to me when I first came her too. It turns out it has nothing at all to do with tanks or armored vehicles or off-road RVs. :)

Trackbacks are just a link to where you have put a copy of the blog post....EG you copy their article to your blog, then you go onto the blog where you got the article from and post a trackback link in the comment section that links to your blog.

Trackbacks are just a link to where you have put a copy of the blog post....EG you copy their article to your blog, then you go onto the blog where you got the article from and post a trackback link in the comment section that links to your blog.

1) Just wanted to clarify what you said because you can't put a copy of their blog post on your blog. You can only quote a snippet (1 - 2 paragraphs). Plus you have to post a link to their blog post on your blog.

2) No you don't then go to their blog and post a trackback link in their comment section. (You are going to get people all confused, that's not how it's done at all.)

There is a space in your own blog post where you put the trackback link. Your blog sends the trackback request to the other blogger via email. If they approve your trackback, then the trackback with a link to your blog is automatically posted in their comment section. They don't post it there and neither do you, it's all automatic.

Trackbacks are commonly associated with blogs. Its simply a link showing that your linked to a blog post on your own site. If the blog owner approves it, it can show up similar to the way a comment does at the end of a blog post.

I'm probably still missing the point here, but this seems like an awful lot of trouble UNLESS the other blogger is really giving some content that I believe will be of real value to my readers. Am I not getting it? (I suspect I'm not getting the SEO value of ME linking to another blogger. I DO get the point of them linking to me.)

I'm probably still missing the point here, but this seems like an awful lot of trouble UNLESS the other blogger is really giving some content that I believe will be of real value to my readers. Am I not getting it? (I suspect I'm not getting the SEO value of ME linking to another blogger. I DO get the point of them linking to me.)

That's exactly right.

If you have a blog and regularly read another blog that you think would also interest your readers, you link out to that blog as a way of seeing. "If you find my blog interesting, you might also find this one interesting". That's what blogrolls were intended to do - sort of early social networking, if you like.

If you find an article or blog post you think adds value to your site and would be of interest to your readers/visitors, quoting a portion of that article as part of yours would make sense to you. If you do so, you should link back to the source.

Either way, the trackback is a way of thanking you for the link and returning the favor.

Last edited by a moderator:
MI
Back